Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth keeps turning itself on

My brand-new MacBook Air (2011 11") has never been connected to anything Bluetooth. Neither had the previous Air I migrated from. I never use Bluetooth, although I do plan to get start using a Magic Mouse occasionally.

BT was on out of the box, but I turned it off. I intend to keep it off all the time except for certain future mouse tasks.

But several times a day I notice it has turned itself back on! I turn it off, but it never lasts. (I keep the BT icon in the menu bar so I can watch the situation.)

Any fixes? I don't want any needless battery drain.

Thanks in advance!

(Also, I notice that the Prefs checkboxes that bring up BT Assistant when "no keyboard [mouse/trackpad] is detected" cannot be turned off. No big deal--the assistant never appears anyway, since obviously a laptop can't have that situation! But I still thought it might be a related symptom: when you uncheck either option, a confirmation sheet drops down. But it doesn't matter which choice you make on the sheet, the boxes stay checked.)

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 4GB i7

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2017 1:35 AM

I have been having the exact same issue.

I've done a bit of searching through my laptop's settings (I have a 2013 15" MacBook Pro) and I *might* have found the solution...

Under the Bluetooth settings, select 'Advanced', and untick 'Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer'. It might be that Bluetooth devices nearby (e.g. phone, other computers) may be picked up by your laptop while it sleeps and automatically turns Bluetooth on.

I say that this 'might' be a solution because I've just implemented the same change in my settings, and enough time hasn't gone by for me to be able to come up with a definitive answer.

Anyways, I hope this solved your problem 🙂

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2017 1:35 AM in response to Morgan Adams1

I have been having the exact same issue.

I've done a bit of searching through my laptop's settings (I have a 2013 15" MacBook Pro) and I *might* have found the solution...

Under the Bluetooth settings, select 'Advanced', and untick 'Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer'. It might be that Bluetooth devices nearby (e.g. phone, other computers) may be picked up by your laptop while it sleeps and automatically turns Bluetooth on.

I say that this 'might' be a solution because I've just implemented the same change in my settings, and enough time hasn't gone by for me to be able to come up with a definitive answer.

Anyways, I hope this solved your problem 🙂

Oct 6, 2017 4:06 AM in response to EpicEmma

I had the same issues also, coupled with a million other things, such as Messages being visible behind a locked screen and worse security concerns on all my Mac devices.

I also, did have Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer' turned off - But this came back on by it self and the bluetooth started to come on by itself.

Any one who knows about cyber security knows this is a weak point, a vulnerability when it comes to end point security. Devices can be hacked via BT, NFC. WIFI, amongst many others. I wonder why APPLE are making it easier for our devices to be exploited by this kind of vulnerability? I would be surprised if they overlook this point, hence, I wonder if they are leaving it this way on purpose? lol

Sep 12, 2011 7:46 PM in response to Morgan Adams1

I had another issue after using migration assist, where there was a file that was in snow leopard, but not in lion. In that case it was a bootup file for PPC support, which was dropped with the release of lion.

I think there might be a similar issue with the bluetooth, however, i don't have time to scour the interwebs for the correct file. I might go into the genius bar later this week and see if they can give me a copy of the folder that isn't botched.

I'll be back on to post results, or just to say that i didn't have time... who knows.

Sep 13, 2011 7:45 AM in response to Morgan Adams1

Same problem! Brand new Macbook Air....13" 2011....I keep turning bluetooth off and it keeps going back on!! Same with the inability to turn off hte same options in bluetooth preferences as the original poster mentioned.

I also used Migration Assistant from my Macbook Pro...but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Oh....maybe the migration DID have something to do with it....

I just deleted all the bluetooth plist files from the ~Library folder and restarted and bluetooth did not start up...and now I can DEselect the boxes I want in the Bluetooth Prefs

So tht appears to be what might work....DELETE the bluetooth .plists in the MAIN Library folder and restart.

Sep 13, 2011 7:47 AM in response to fabes89

The problem definitely doesn't seem to happen with brief sleep periods; so maybe it's related to the "deep sleep" mode.

fabes89 wrote:

I had another issue after using migration assist, where there was a file that was in snow leopard, but not in lion. In that case it was a bootup file for PPC support, which was dropped with the release of lion.

The missing PPC file sounds normal to me, since PPC support was dropped.

Bluetooth keeps turning itself on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.