Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there an option to use the old "Don't Replace" option during file copying on OSX Lion??

I am extremely upset at the removal of "Don't Replace" function during copying. I often copy many of my music, picture and video files onto external hard drives for back up and often times they total more than 100 files. On Snow Leopard when I would copy files onto the external if some files were already on the external hard drive it would give me the an option of not replacing the files already there and just copying the rest. With Lion the new option is to either make a secondary copy of the file, just stop the whole copy or just replace the file already there. Because of this i have to spend the extra time of replacing all the files each time i back up, or stop the copy and go through hundreds of files to deselect the file already on the external drive. PLEASE BRING BACK THE "DONT REPLACE" Option

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 3:42 PM

12 replies

Aug 9, 2011 11:00 AM in response to Money and Charm

I have the same problem coppying updated picture folders to an small external harddrive is causing now a significant time increase and a lot of additional manual work.

I guess Apple wants to fight against copyig illegal movie files or something with this action but it is hurting everyone who is dealing with a big amound of files like raw images.

I hope Apple will start thinking about this issue and is not on the Georg Orwel 1984 trip trying to fotbid a free mind and forcing the users to work in thier way....

Aug 9, 2011 11:38 AM in response to PJBlackbird

Upon further use and file moving, I'm now in agreement with Kappy. I made a blank TextEdit file on the desktop, copied it to my Home folder, then tried to copy again.

This is the result:

User uploaded file

Then I made three untitled TextEdit files and did the same procedure.

This is the next result:

User uploaded file

That looks pretty standard and the same as it was before. What function do you guys claim to be missing?

Is there an option to use the old "Don't Replace" option during file copying on OSX Lion??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.