Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tiger boot process question

Hello all,

I have been given a question as part of an assignment and I am not entirely sure what it is that it is asking. The quote below is the exact wording:

"Determine what services ‘start’ during boot up."

any suggestions where I can access the folder that list these on my hdd? or better yet is there a folder that list these services. just to be clear its not asking what programs are set to auto start, that I can find and configure with no problems, just not sure exactly what the question is asking.

Thanking you all in advance.

Michael

Mac Mini. 2.53ghz, Mac OS X (10.6), Mine, all mine!!!!

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 5:44 PM

If you hold command-v during boot you will enter single-user verbose mode. That will give you a command line interface and list all the services as they're loaded during startup. When you're done reading all the text (have fun), type "reboot" (without the quotes of course) and press return.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1492

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2011 5:44 PM in response to michael Kirwan

If you hold command-v during boot you will enter single-user verbose mode. That will give you a command line interface and list all the services as they're loaded during startup. When you're done reading all the text (have fun), type "reboot" (without the quotes of course) and press return.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1492

Aug 2, 2011 9:53 PM in response to michael Kirwan

Yet another source of information is Activity Monitor, which has a listing of active processes which you can sort by user or process ID, for instance. Neither verbose boot or system logs give a full picture of the processes that are starting up, as some of them do not generate console output.

Another thing you can try is opening a terminal session and enter the following command:

ps -auxc | sort <enter>

What you are looking for, basically, are root processes started at boot time. This is best done shortly after bringing the system up to get a better feel for when processes launched. You might see a listing that looks something like this First a picture of the header and then a picture of what the interesting processes might look like):

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mind you, you would see more time resolution than what's shown above, since my last boot was on Friday at 3:09 PM, but you can see the bottom entry, ocspd would not have been started at boot time. You can also direct the output to a file, for instance. I would do that this way (using your documents folder, for instance, as a target):

ps -auxc | sort -> ~/Documents/file_name.txt <enter>

Where you can substitute the file name you really want.

Tiger boot process question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.