Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD Player installation error A valid DVD drive could not be found. [-70012]

My iMac has an external "superdrive" and I can't play files .dvdmedia. On opening the DVD Player I get this message: There was installation error A valid DVD drive could not be found. [-70012]

This sent an error message to Apple when I click the OK button.

I have tried to relinstall the DVD player.app from the SnowLeopard disc, but this app was not on the list for custom install. I have repaired permissions, no help! I have shut down and waited several minutes and restarted, no help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 11:13 AM

My continued frustration with this problem lead me to an archived discussion https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2020977?start=0&tstart=0 This lead me to beleive I need to use the reset password to fully repair my permissions as contained there. Also while booted in the install disc, I performed a Repair Disc on the StartUp disc.

After all this, when I restarted, the DVD Player was able to play DVDmedia files completely.

So I quess I solved my own problem.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2011 11:13 AM in response to sgtphil

My continued frustration with this problem lead me to an archived discussion https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2020977?start=0&tstart=0 This lead me to beleive I need to use the reset password to fully repair my permissions as contained there. Also while booted in the install disc, I performed a Repair Disc on the StartUp disc.

After all this, when I restarted, the DVD Player was able to play DVDmedia files completely.

So I quess I solved my own problem.

DVD Player installation error A valid DVD drive could not be found. [-70012]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.