Skip navigation

iPad and airport security...

17844 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2011 9:36 AM by Macaby RSS
Macaby Level 3 Level 3 (910 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 2, 2011 10:59 PM

Anyone know if airport security treats the iPad the same as a computer (to be placed in a separate bin for xray).  I would sure like to go through security without dragging it out.

• Alancito Level 6 Level 6 (10,770 points)
    Aug 3, 2011 1:25 AM (in response to Macaby)

For U.S. airports, the Transportation Security Administration says THIS and: "Small electronics, such as iPods, can remain in carry-on baggage." (Source)

And there's a forum discussion on the subject HERE.

https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-15022477-1766/128-62/SigT.gif

• Tgara Level 4 Level 4 (3,540 points)
    Aug 3, 2011 8:24 AM (in response to Macaby)

The link Alancito provided apply to laptops that are carried in specialized bags that include see-through compartments.  The link is more about the bags than anything else.  Moreover, the reference to "small electronics" refers to iPODS not iPADS.

When I've flown recently (domestic flights in the US), I asked the TSA folks how they wanted to deal with the iPad.  They all said to remove it from the bag and place it in a separate bin.  So yes, they appear to be treating the iPad like a laptop. 

• Julian Wright Level 7 Level 7 (34,835 points)
    Aug 3, 2011 8:28 AM (in response to Macaby)

I've flown many times with my iPad throughout Europe and in most cases I've had to put the iPad in a seperate tray, as if it were a laptop.

Occasionally, they haven't bothered, but in most cases they have.

• Tamara Level 6 Level 6 (13,720 points)
    Aug 3, 2011 8:50 AM (in response to Macaby)

I've just left my iPad in my carry on bag and so far TSA has never asked me to take it out.

• mojo909 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Aug 3, 2011 8:52 AM (in response to Macaby)

Flown 6 times within the USA with my iPad and have never had to remove it from my carry-on bag ...

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.