Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MBP's battery health decreasing rapidly

In the first week of July I purchased my MacBook Pro. Since then I have noticed that the battery health is steadily decreasing. It went down from 100% to about 96%. I would have not cared but my iPod touch is little over 6 months old and the battery health is 98%! So this gives me cause to worry. Any help here?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 13 inch 2011

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 11:26 PM

11 replies

Aug 3, 2011 1:40 AM in response to DaveApplehappy

The batteries are factory tested with half charge... not really fully calibrated... (as far as I know) 😐

The first time you use it you must calibrate it. When you get it just let it charge for a few hours and then let it drain. let it rest for a few hours and then charge again...

It really doesn't hurt to calibrate, it is worst to be sorry later...

Aug 3, 2011 2:12 AM in response to Aadityavikram

You can use about 1000 cycles before you are at the 80% level.

You will see in Coconut that the "health" level varies a few percent sometimes when you charge from different discharge levels.

Nothing to worry about IMO.

Calibration every one or two months.

When overnight at sleep you can disconnect the charger, if you are not using the MBP for a longer time, you store it whith the battery only having half charge.

Aug 3, 2011 2:31 AM in response to DaveApplehappy

Hi Dave,

No it will not harm the battery when you leave the charger always in. It will not give the battery a longer life nor a shorter life. However if you have the charger in always (like I do), once in a while just disconnect it for half an hour or so , and put the charger in again when battery is below 95% (otherwise the charger will not start charging), and once per one or two months do a battery calibration.

My MBP's battery health decreasing rapidly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.