7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2011 8:05 AM by monty90242
lvel Level 1 (5 points)

Hi All

I've found that OSX Lion has the tendency of re-arranging the icons in the Desktop. It takes everything "to the right".

Is that a bug or a feature?

We should NOT have icons on our desktop?

tx for the help

• Eddie Prior1 Level 1 (5 points)

As discussed on other threads, this is very widespread.

For my solution, I did the following:

Finder menu bar > Go > Go to folder > (type) ~/Library/Preferences

There are lots of strange otherwise invisible files, but scroll down to

com.apple.desktop.plist

Drag this to the trash, and restart.

If you had a desktop picture you will have to re-set it, but the icon-moving should stop.

Why? I dont know.

• lakewoodlawnman Level 2 (460 points)

Nothing like having your Mac desktop  look like a PC desktop. LOL

• Talban Level 1 (0 points)

I'm having this same problem, but, surprise, surprise, I don't have a com.apple.desktop.plist file in my library/preferences folder. 

So, what's up with that?  And why does Lion take it upon itself to reorder my icons?

Damnd annoying.

• Eddie Prior1 Level 1 (5 points)

You will have one, but Apple chose to make it invisible.

Did you search for it as above?

Dozens of strange files show up, but scroll all the way down and it will be there.

Click on the desktop, and set up arrange by none. Open a finder window and set up arrange by none, find your com.apple.desktop.plist and drag it to the trash, and then restart.

Worked for me!

• Talban Level 1 (0 points)

I've made my Library folder visible and I've searched as outlined above, but no file. Maybe if it doesn't sort in alphabetical order for some reason, then it might be there, but a search of the Preferences folder yeilds no files with the word "desktop" in them.

On top of that cliking on the desktop does not give me the option to Arrange by none.  I can sort by, but not arrange by.  I can set that from the view options menu, but only within a finder window, not from the desktop itself.

• baltwo Level 9 (62,215 points)

See my reply tohttps://discussions.apple.com/message/15832418#15832418. Ensure you catch the correction at the end.

• monty90242 Level 1 (0 points)

I couldn't find com.apple.desktop.plist in the /Library/Preferences directory, but I do find it in

/Users/$MY_NAME/Library/Preferences.