Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are my icons rearranging themselves at startup. Checked the views, nothing. Never seen this before.

Why are my icons rearranging themselves at startup. Checked the views, nothing. Never seen this before. I used Migration Assistant this time to load my digital life and to save time. But at the end something went wrong, I fear that had something to do with this constant rearrangement. It is driving me crazy. PLEASE HELP!!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 6:40 AM

11 replies

Aug 4, 2011 12:10 AM in response to Hartsville<Designer>

It's caused by a corrupt, hidden .DS_Store file in the Desktop folder.

Run this command in the Terminal app, log out and back in, and reset your Desktop icons.

rm ~/Desktop/.DS_Store

Once that's done, make a copy of that file using this Terminal command:

cp ~/Desktop/.DS_Store ~/Desktop/.DS.Store.bak

Then, use this Terminal command to restore it if the corruption happens again:

cp ~/Desktop/.DS_Store.bak ~/Desktop/.DS.Store

Follow this command by an OPTION-click & hold on the Finder's Dock icon and select Relaunch. That will restore the view.

Aug 4, 2011 5:51 AM in response to Hartsville<Designer>

Thank you for helping. I was unsuccessful. I'm probably doing something wrong. I rarely use Terminal. I copied and pasted the commands but I got a command not found error message in Terminal.

GIBSON2s-iMac:~ gibson$ cp ~/Desktop/.DS_Store ~/Desktop/.DS.Store.bak

-bash: cp : command not found

Did I do something wrong?

Oct 8, 2011 6:12 PM in response to Hartsville<Designer>

Still have the problem here. Copying the settings-file is not a solution. As I use the desktop for work, my folders change pretty often. so that a copy of the plist-file doesnt really help. Apple really needs to fix this problem. its ******* me totally of. the machine should just work. I don't have time to rearrange the icons on every login. any better solution than setting up a new lion installation?

Dec 30, 2011 3:07 PM in response to Hartsville<Designer>

I'm having the same problem – it's a pain in the butt.

I've scripted a lot, and for some reason the Scripting Editor no longer records our moving a DT icon to a new location, and I cant find any script that does it.

Here's a lead I found on a "workaround" [I hate workarounds]. I found that Automator, which I'm not familiar with yet, DID record icon moves! Now all I have to do is find out how to get the workflow into an application to drop into my Startup Items folder [unless that's not there either]. Geeez, am I sorry I went to lyon! The Lyon ate up half my old apps that worked perfectly on snow leapard, including my Adobe Creative $uit!

Dec 30, 2011 3:44 PM in response to Hartsville<Designer>

OOOOPPPSSS . . . I'M WRONG.

Automator DID NOT record the desktop icon moves.

Sorry.

I had no luck with the Terminal application – I don't know what it is. The mention of it comes from someone who doesn't remember when he was new at this stuff, and needs to give some hints to someone like me who CANNOT find the folder in the Library Prefs because there ISN'T one . . . "it's just invisible . . . Duhhh."

There must be some scripting commands to move icons. I can't find mention of any in the AS Reference guide. I've been through the Finder's dictionary with no avail. But if I find a way, I'll script the icons into place and get all of this over with.

Dec 30, 2011 4:24 PM in response to Robert Deason

You can move desktop objects using this:

tell application "Finder" to set desktop position of file "path to file using the : delimiter" to {x, y}

where x and y are the width and height posits.

Here's an example:

tell application "Finder" to set desktop position of file "'boot volume name':Users:'username':Desktop:'name of Desktop file'" to {2055, 1360}

for a 27" display set at 2560 x 1440.

Dec 30, 2011 7:41 PM in response to Hartsville<Designer>

GOOD NEWS ICON GRUMPS:

First, a big Thank you^3, to Baltwo for the script help . . . I'm in business.

ON THE ICON PROBLEM: to locate and trash the 'com.apple.desktop.plist', do this:

• Be in the finder (click the desktop), on the top menu click and –HOLD– "GO." The menu list will open

• While it's open, press the Option key (while you hold GO") – Voila! a folder "Library" pops into the middle. THAT'S the majic, invisible list. In it, go to "Preferences" and then find "com.apple.desktop.plist"

Drag com.apple.desktop.plist to the trash.

Now, set your desktop icons where you want them, and restart. They should re-appear where you left them. Mine did. What a pain this has been.

And, yes, you will have to re-set your desktop picture; it's in your system preferences (the icon with the three gears) top row > Personal > Desktop & Screen Saver

Thank all of you.

Why are my icons rearranging themselves at startup. Checked the views, nothing. Never seen this before.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.