Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message received: The iTunes update server could not be contacted

Please help! I'm using a windows 7 laptop. The iTunes store is not displaying images, and if I try to import a CD it will not access the gracenote database for track info.Tried updating but got the error message 'the itunes update server could not be contacted'. I'm accessing the internet via a Tmobile dongle and all other web content is working . I have uninstalled and reinstalled itunes, checked my driver are up to date and that my AVG firewall allows iTunes through.I have disabled the windows firewall.I tried disabling the AVG one completely too but that had no effect so I'm stuck - can anyone help?

itunes-OTHER, Windows 7, itunes 10

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 8:32 AM

1 reply

Aug 8, 2011 1:36 PM in response to harryfromsunderland

Not sure if you already fixed this problem or not, but I recently upgraded my laptop to Win7 and ran into the same issue. My Internet connection was working fine, I could even browse the store within iTunes, just couldn't download any software or firmware updates. I fixed it by editing the "hosts" file located in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder. Open it in notepad with admin rights (right click notepad & select "Run as administrator"). Uncomment (delete the hash symbol "#") the last 2 lines or the ones that consist of "127.0.0.1 localhost" and "::1 localhost". Restart iTunes and see if this works (if you haven't already found a solution).

Error message received: The iTunes update server could not be contacted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.