Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just bought a Macbook Pro 2011 15" computer for college. I also recently purchased a video game to play on the computer. A message popped up after i installed the game that said i didn't have a fast enough processor. I thought i7 was the fastest!?

I ignored the message and began playing the game. About 2 hours into the game, the program closed and an error message popped up. After restarting, I opened the game to the last save point and began playing again. Five minutes later, at the same point in the game I was at before, the same problem occured. How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 1:34 PM

8 replies

Aug 3, 2011 2:53 PM in response to tjk

the game is SW Knights of the Old Republic. Requirements include: Mac OS X 10.3.4 or later, PowerPC G4/G5 1GHz or faster, 256 MB Ram (512 MB reccomended), 4.2 GB free disk space, 3D graphics acceleration (ATI Radeon 8500/nVidia GeForce 2 or better), 32 MB of VRAM, and dvd drive. would i be able to download the PowerPC G4 or G5? because i don't believe the computer has it.

Aug 3, 2011 3:00 PM in response to ceostebo

PowerPC is an older Mac variant, Motorola processor rather than Intel, you can't download it (it's physical) and you can't install one in your Mac.

If this really is a PPC program then it is either very old, or very undeveloped, contact the manufacturer and see if the game actually requires a PPC processor, and if it does you can't play it.

Edit:

I just looked this game up, it is 8 years old, you're lucky it ran at all, see if the manufacturer has an up to date version.

Aug 3, 2011 3:30 PM in response to Csound1

Thanks, are you sure i couldn't bring it to the apple store to have them put in an additional motorola processor? it already is dual processor, couldn't they add a third? the game is a classic, and my disk broke a few years back before i switched to mac. is there no other way i'd be able to play this game on my computer?

Edit:

I'm not sure to trust this website, but it offers a patch to help play the game with an intel processor:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1.0.3d

This is an open Beta Patch that is intended to help Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic play on Intel Processors. We are leaving he 1.03c patch up in case you need to revert to the older patch.

User uploaded file

Mac OS X Only

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

User uploaded file

User uploaded file Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (1.0.3c)

User uploaded file Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (1.0.3d)

Aug 3, 2011 3:38 PM in response to ceostebo

ceostebo wrote:

Thanks, are you sure i couldn't bring it to the apple store to have them put in an additional motorola processor? it already is dual processor, couldn't they add a third? the game is a classic, and my disk broke a few years back before i switched to mac. is there no other way i'd be able to play this game on my computer?

Edit:

I'm not sure to trust this website, but it offers a patch to help play the game with an intel processor:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1.0.3d

This is an open Beta Patch that is intended to help Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic play on Intel Processors. We are leaving he 1.03c patch up in case you need to revert to the older patch.

User uploaded file

Mac OS X Only

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

User uploaded file

User uploaded file Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (1.0.3c)

User uploaded file Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (1.0.3d)

You can not add a 3rd processor (Actually second, your Mac has 1 processor, with 2 cores)

You can try the patch, (I have no idea whether it will work, do bad things or do nothing at all)

You can buy a used PPC Mac fairly cheaply

You can play another game (if none of the above takes your fancy)

Over to you 🙂

Aug 3, 2011 10:28 PM in response to ceostebo

ceostebo wrote:

the game is SW Knights of the Old Republic. Requirements include: Mac OS X 10.3.4 or later, PowerPC G4/G5 1GHz or faster, 256 MB Ram (512 MB reccomended), 4.2 GB free disk space, 3D graphics acceleration (ATI Radeon 8500/nVidia GeForce 2 or better), 32 MB of VRAM, and dvd drive. would i be able to download the PowerPC G4 or G5? because i don't believe the computer has it.

Looks like another poster has explained your answers to my questions. It seems like things change so rapidly in technology that none of us can keep up in every aspect of life. The patch would certainly be worth trying (so you don't have to buy an old Mac or a new game). Make sure you have a current backup before applying it. Some third party patches, especially in beta, can wreak havoc on computers. I recommend a Time Machine backup and/or CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! clone just prior to installing the patch. That way, if unresolvable problems occur, you can either restore from TM or clone back from CCC or SD and no worries. Good luck to you. 😉

I just bought a Macbook Pro 2011 15" computer for college. I also recently purchased a video game to play on the computer. A message popped up after i installed the game that said i didn't have a fast enough processor. I thought i7 was the fastest!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.