Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing photos all messed up

I am having major issues trying to import photos into iMovie. I tried importing via the import menu and dragging and dropping photos into the timeline.

I am basically trying to make a photo slide show with the Ken Burns effect. When I drag or import photos they show up in the timeline but when I try to watch my video preview all I get is a black screen. I tried adding a video clip first, then added a single photo and it worked. When I import more than one photo at a time the thumbnail preview in the timeline got all messed up and doesn't correspond with the pictures they belong to. I imported 12 pictures and when I preview my movie it just shows me a couple photos over and over not the 12 I imported. I have no clue what could possibly have caused this? Nor do I have any idea how to fix it? Creating new projects and quitting a restarting seem to have no effect.

I'm using iMovie 11 on my macbook pro running OSX lion.

Here are some screenshots:

Here are the JPG files I'm importing:

User uploaded file

Here you can see that the thumbnail does not correspond with the image shown:

User uploaded file

Same problem as above:

User uploaded file

Macbook Pro i7, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 2:33 PM

8 replies

Aug 4, 2011 1:27 AM in response to Infinus

Finally got home and managed to do some more testing. I erased and reinstalled iMovie running 9.0.2 it worked ok, upgraded and had the problem again. erased and reinstalled again, back on 9.0.2 it seems if I import photos one at a time it works but dragging multiple photos in creates the non matching thumbnail/duplicate pictures problem.

Dec 24, 2012 5:50 AM in response to Infinus

I have exactly the same problem, have you solved it?

The photo I import is shown on the preview, but on the thumbnail there is always a different photo which i have not imported and is the same every time i try importing different photos. I have tried importing them into iPhoto first, and the whole adding text and background scenario and it hasn't worked. I too bought the laptop with iMovie '11 preinstalled.

Any more suggestions?!

Dec 25, 2012 2:58 PM in response to MLylePérez

I am having the same problem.

I just finished a imovie project using photos that I was going to show at a party and the images are now all messed up!

The preview image is not the same as the correct thumbnail image that was inserted on the timeline using iPhoto. I have tried deleting and re-inserting, overwriting and ever other suggestion posted.

Nothing seems to work!

Very disappointed with iMovie and may not ever use again.

importing photos all messed up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.