Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro not recognising EAC burnt audio cds

Hi, I have been searching all day over forums and google trying to solve this problem but had no luck.

Using the EAC burning guide from the Wiki articles I burnt several audio CDs on my windows vista laptop. Everything seemed to go fine in the burning process. All the CDs work fine with all my cd players as well as my slightly old iMac and other Windows computers. However, when I insert the CDs into my MacBook Pro they are recognised as blank CDs. The strange thing is, is that my MacBook Pro will recognise consumer CDs from the shops without any hassle.

I've tried two different disks (maxwell cd-r and a blank non-branded cd-r) so I think we can eliminate any media problems.

It could be a problem with the burning process but then why would it work on all of those other platforms including another Mac?

I have tried re-installing older versions of iTunes, same result. My MacBook Pro is currently up-to-date too. Also to add that I have made audio CDs on this MacBook Pro using both Toast and WaveBurner that play fine.

Does anyone have any ideas, I think it is likely to be a problem with my MacBook Pro settings but would not know where to start?

My MacBook Pro Specifications:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.48f2

Drive Specifications:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868:

Firmware Revision: KB19

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO

Media:

Type: CD-R

Blank: Yes

Erasable: No

Overwritable: Yes

Appendable: Yes

Write Speeds: 8x, 24x

iTunes 10.4

MacBook Pro 15" & iMac 24", Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 4:12 PM

The main problem with Matsushita drives (AKA: Panasonic) is that IF the color dye on the CD/DVD is too light it might not read it correctly and it will think that it is empty... You should try other brands... (That happened to me in the past)

9 replies

Aug 4, 2011 1:48 PM in response to paulmc_rules

The brands that have worked well with all my Macs are:

// 😐( – Sadly, they all have Matsushita drives – )

> Memorex Black Label (the color dye is black)

> Kodak Gold

> FujiFilm ( "made in Japan" , the ones made in Taiwan don't seem to have the same build)

> TDK Armor Plated

> Verbatim DataLifePlus

80% of the time I get the TDK brand... I haven't had any problems with Phillips and Sony either...

Aug 4, 2011 3:31 PM in response to paulmc_rules

Oh Sorry, those on the list were both DVDs and CDs...

For blank DVD: TDK, Phillips, FujiFilm

(Verbatim, Kodak and Sony are a little too expensive, so I only buy them when they are on sale 😉)

If you want to keep your DVDs for a very long time then you might want to invest on the Kodak Gold (100 year life) and the TDK Armor Plated DVDs...

I have a few of the Kodak Gold that are about 10 years old now and they look brand new. Other brands like Maxell only lasted about 2-5 years max (the dye "falls off" or changes color)

MacBook Pro not recognising EAC burnt audio cds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.