Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I see the time in full screen mail and safari?

Now that I am using Lion I can't see my clock any more when using mail etc in full screen. There must be a way to show it, isn't there? Also can't see Time
machine backing up and wireless connection.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Wireless Mouse

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 4:06 PM

9 replies

Aug 3, 2011 4:25 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks Barney for trying to help. I know how to find it but I do a lot of things while clock watching

and I don't want to have to set up a separate clock beside the computer so I can always see the time. I've been late for appointments quite a few times while using Lion because I don't see the clock while working in full screen. If I go back to the old Leopard way I waste the full Lion experience.

Aug 3, 2011 4:37 PM in response to MegCee

MegCee wrote:

Thanks Barney for trying to help. I know how to find it but I do a lot of things while clock watching

and I don't want to have to set up a separate clock beside the computer so I can always see the time. I've been late for appointments quite a few times while using Lion because I don't see the clock while working in full screen. If I go back to the old Leopard way I waste the full Lion experience.

You're not wasting the full Lion experience by not using full screen mode. It's an option for just that reason. If you have a big screen, it may not be practical to use full screen mode for many reasons.

Aug 3, 2011 4:43 PM in response to MegCee

Went to MacUpdate and found QuartzClocks

You have to go to the preferences and set it to float above other windows. You can also set it to allow click-through and transparency. If you use one with a sweeping hand, the smooth seconds option is less "eye-catching."

With it running, right-click on the Dock icon and set it for All Desktops in the Option submenu.

Other than something like that, I don't have any other ideas.

Aug 3, 2011 5:09 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

Went to MacUpdate and found QuartzClocks

You have to go to the preferences and set it to float above other windows. You can also set it to allow click-through and transparency. If you use one with a sweeping hand, the smooth seconds option is less "eye-catching."

With it running, right-click on the Dock icon and set it for All Desktops in the Option submenu.

Other than something like that, I don't have any other ideas.

Did you test that app with Full Screen?

Yahoo Widgets has a similar preference selection, but the "float above windows" doesn't work with full screen. If it did, then the full screen function wouldn't be actually full screen.

Oct 24, 2013 7:35 AM in response to MegCee

While this thread is quite old it's still very relevant. One solution that works is an app called GeekTool. It lets you execute a shell command and display the result on the screen. Here are some detailed instructions:

http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/customization/5-ways-to-make-your-macs-desktop -better-with-geektool/

I used the following command to copy the default OS X clock:

date +"%a %l:%M %p"

It refreshes every second and I placed it at the bottom right corner of my screen. I also hid the status bar in Safari to make it more visible.

How do I see the time in full screen mail and safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.