Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 5 crashes on launch after software update

Hi all, I would be grateful for any pointers as I'm tearing my hair out on this one.

I've been running FCP 5.0.4 with no problems for nearly a year.

Last night I ran a substantial set of software updates, including the one for readiness to upgrade to Lion.

Today, I cannot open FCP. After clicking to open the application, I constantly get the dialog: 'Final Cut Pro quit unexpectedly'.

First, knowing it's usually the solution, I trashed my preferences.

Next I looked into uninstalling FCP with an eye to reinstalling it - didn't realise this would be so much of a minefield...but eventually I ran FCS Remover 3.0.1, telling it to remove everything.

Then I reinstalled FCP. And again, the same 'Final Cut Pro quit unexpectedly' dialog.

I've searched for a solution - no preferences to trash any more as I can't launch the **** thing.

Some have suggested repairing permissions through the Disk Utility - no change.

I've seen instructions to do with prebinding in Terminal from Apple here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA27807?viewlocale=en_US, using the command line: sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

Terminal asks for my password, then says 'command not found', same again on repeated attempts.

With my limited Terminal knowledge I don't want to go any further. I'm seeing other people reporting similar problems after software updates, but no solutions - I'm not sure if this is a problem unique to me or something more widespread.

Can anybody help? Is anybody having similar issues? I'm worried I'll never be able to run FCP again. Disaster.

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 4:08 PM

There are no replies.

FCP 5 crashes on launch after software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.