Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search doesn't show file path

When searching my HD, I cannot find the location of the files. I used to be able to hold the mouse over the file in the search box and it would show the location. How do I do this in Lion? It does find the file, but I would like to alos see where I put it! Call me old school! Thanks in advance for any help.

24 iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 6:08 PM

Sephecles wrote:

When searching my HD, I cannot find the location of the files. I used to be able to hold the mouse over the file in the search box and it would show the location. How do I do this in Lion? It does find the file, but I would like to alos see where I put it! Call me old school! Thanks in advance for any help.

What search modality? Are you talking about spotlight? If so when you hover over the ouput and the info box opens, hold the option-command key and the file path presents itself at the bootm of the pane.

If it is a search in Finder file path at the bottom of Finder window results.

In no search Finder window you can control click the title of the Finder Window for path or control-click the tool bar and drag the Path icon to the toolbar.

Also Finder>View>show path bar

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2011 6:08 PM in response to Sephecles

Sephecles wrote:

What search modality? Are you talking about spotlight? If so when you hover over the ouput and the info box opens, hold the option-command key and the file path presents itself at the bootm of the pane.

If it is a search in Finder file path at the bottom of Finder window results.

In no search Finder window you can control click the title of the Finder Window for path or control-click the tool bar and drag the Path icon to the toolbar.

Also Finder>View>show path bar

Search doesn't show file path

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.