Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Active Window suddenly drops to background

Besides not being able to switch to an application window on clicking on the application in the dock, (see previous post) i've also had a concurrent issue that seems to make the active window suddently go right to the back window, this seems to be happening in multiple applications - i can be writing an email, and suddenly the window dissapears to the back of the desktop and i have to go find it and make it active again. The only way that i can stop this from distracting and stopping me from working, is not to have any other windows open!!.

In Safari, if i click on any of the buttons (like bookmarks, top site etc) that also makes the window suddently go back, and i have to find the window again to make it active. its VERY frustrating and making me very unproductive. has anyone else had this problem? does anyone know a solution on how i can fix this?

i've don repair permissions, i've restarted the machine, i've done FSCK but the problem still persists - cna't wait for the lion update and hope they also give the option of the old Spaces and Expose!

thanks in Advance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), 3.4Ghz i7 256SSD + 1TB HD

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 11:54 PM

4 replies

Oct 5, 2011 4:29 PM in response to macbuzzz

What do you mean by "the window goes back" exactly?

Does it become hidden, as if you press [Command-H}, or,

does it end up minimized, as if when pressing [Command-M]?

That seems like rather odd behaviour for sure; all I can think of is perhaps there is some sort of mixup in the Preferences for keyboard and/or mice shortcuts that are getting accidentally activated somehow.

Oct 5, 2011 5:24 PM in response to François J. Perreault

Thank you Francois,

It is most closely resembling [Command+H]. but the window still appears, with all other open windows appearing in front of it.

It seemed to be intermitent for me. I closed all apps, and restarted, un-selecting "Re-open windows when logging back in."

For the moment it appears to be stable again, and this has happened before, so will keep you posted. Is there a dump or some other function I should do next time it is happening?

Macbuzzz, are you still experiencing this issue?

Active Window suddenly drops to background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.