Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel failure after Time Machine restore

Hi all,

My iMac recently had a hard disk failure. I took it to the local Apple Store where they replaced the drive and reinstalled Mac OS X. When I got the machine home all was working well... until I tried to restore from a Time Machine backup. The restore process completed, apparently successfully, but when I attempted to boot the computer I got the following, which having Googled, I believe is a kernel panic:

panic(cpu 1 caller 0x47f5ad): "Process 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 8\n"@SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.3/bsd/kern/kern_exec.c:3145

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 1), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x49albe48 : 0x21b837 (0x5dd7fc 0x49albe7c 0x223ce1 0x0)

0x49albe98 : 0x47f5ad (0x5cf950 0x831c08 0x8 0x0)

0x49albef8 : 0x4696d2 (0x70f4d20 0x1fe 0x6e5b5b0 0x80000001)

0x49albf38 : 0x48fee5 (0x6d79000 0x434db000 0x49a1bf88 0x226e2f)

0x49albf68 : 0x219432 (0xffffff7f 0x49a1bf88 0x2a45c9)

0x49albfa8 : 0x2aacb4 (0xffffffff 0x1 0x22f8f5 0x227c4b)

0x49albfc8 : 0x2a1976 (0x0 0x0 0x2a17ab 0x697cd00)

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: init

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386

System model name: iMac7,1 (Mac-F4238CC8)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 913313903

Overlaid across the top is a message, "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again.

I've tried doing that but it just returns to the same error screen.

I've tried holding down shift whilst booting but it just returns to the same error screen.

I've tried holding down command-option-p-r and waiting for the three chimes, but still the same error.

I've held down D whilst booting and run the Apple Hardware Test but not errors are reported.

I've booted from the installation CD and run disk utility, but no errors are reported.

I've tried booting into single user mode to run fsck but I get the same error message on an entirely black screen and it won't allow me to type.

I've tried holding down command-option-o-f but just get to the same error screen above.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do now, but I am panicking somewhat as I need the computer working ASAP and am paranoid I may have lost my entire music and photo collections.

Any advice and solutions would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), New Apple installed hard drive

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 4:18 AM

I've managed to solve this problem - thank goodness!

In case anyone else is having this problem this is what worked for me:

• Start computer and insert Installation Disk provided when the computer was purchased;
  • Restart computer and boot to disk by holding down 'C' whilst booting;
  • Run Disk Utility from top meu and erase hard drive;
  • Restart computer - booted to CD straight away for me;
  • Reinstall Mac OSX;
  • During reinstallation select to restore from Time Machine backup.

Everything seems to be running fine for me, with no data lost.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2011 4:18 AM in response to surreysimon

I've managed to solve this problem - thank goodness!

In case anyone else is having this problem this is what worked for me:

• Start computer and insert Installation Disk provided when the computer was purchased;
  • Restart computer and boot to disk by holding down 'C' whilst booting;
  • Run Disk Utility from top meu and erase hard drive;
  • Restart computer - booted to CD straight away for me;
  • Reinstall Mac OSX;
  • During reinstallation select to restore from Time Machine backup.

Everything seems to be running fine for me, with no data lost.

Dec 4, 2011 2:35 PM in response to surreysimon

Hi,

I got same problem

panic(cpu 1 caller 0x47f5ad): "Process 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 8\n"@SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.3/bsd/kern/kern_exec.c:3145

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 1), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x49albe48 : 0x21b837 (0x5dd7fc ................

but can't solve it as described.

I use restore function (TM) from MAC OS Installer utilities.

If I use restore function (TM) as part of installation sequence I get error: ...other MAC is running newer version of MAC OS X.

(fact: DVD disk 10.5.7, backup TM 10.6.8)

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Dec 28, 2011 9:51 PM in response to Peter DK

I had the same problem and surreysimon's solution did not work for me. Instead, I ran into same issues as Peter DK. After trying many different combinations, I finally found a solution. Basically use Time Machine that comes with Lion to restore. Note: we are just using Lion's TM. Not installing Lion.

Doing this restored my Mac exactly as it was, i.e. w/ Snow Leopard and all my apps and data intact. Here's an explaination of what I think happened.

My Mac originally came with SL 10.6.5 DVD. I've been keeping up w/ software updates, which brought my Mac to SL 10.6.8. I used my original DVD to restore TM backup which caused kernel panic. My guess is the TM included with SL 10.6.5 is not able to properly restore TM backups made with SL 10.6.8. If I had gotten SL 10.6.8 DVD, I suspect TM restore would have worked fine. Instead, I used Lion DVD to restore TM backup which worked just as well.

surreysimon's solution didn't work because of the same issue. I followed the steps using my original 10.6.5 DVD, but TM restore function as part of installation sequence would error saying the backup is newer version of OS X; same error Peter DK saw. Using migration utility after installing and updating SL doesn't work. It only restores data and not the apps.

In case you are wondering, I upgraded my other Mac to Lion but keeping this one on SL. I'm seeing too many nagging issues with Lion which I hope Apple will fix before I upgrade this one.

Mar 9, 2012 3:03 PM in response to brandononmacpro

Had this exact situation and this solution worked perfectly.

For 10.6.8, use Lion bootable install media.

A couple differences in my case:

- I folowed the instructions to create a bootable Lion USB drive instead of a DVD. (The only other Mac I had available was an older Mac Mini which cannot write DVDs.)

- To choose the boot drive in my case requires holding down the Option key rather than 'C'.

Apr 21, 2014 5:57 AM in response to surreysimon

I had the same error after replacing my hdd and doing a restore. I wonder if my problem was caused by a change in hdd name. When I installed the new hdd I gave it a clever name, but the restore I used had the standard name, "macintosh hd." I erased the drive returning it to the default name and i am restoring again now. We shall see what happens.

Is it probable that this caused my issue?

P.S. Watching House while working on your computer makes you want to write all the symptoms on a white board to solve the issues.

Kernel failure after Time Machine restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.