Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which Final Cut Studio

Hello all,

I've been using FCE 4 for over a year now and before that used iMovie. I have started shooting videos with my Pany DVX-100B which shoots at 25p (pal), and this is the main reason I am looking into purchasing a version of FCS because FCE doesn't support 25p footage. Its also very possible that in the not to distant future I will be shooting some projects in HD. The third reason is compression and DVD's. iDVD just isn't up to burning 2hr long projects and it's basically a bit of a nightmare when it comes to adding chapters. I've wasted nights of my life trying to use iDVD.

So I am wondering... what is the best version of Final Cut Studio to go for as there seems to be a fair few different types. For example FCS1, 2 and 3 and then HD's?

Also how did FCS jump to X (which I presume means 10)? I have heard a lot of bad reviews about apples new FCS.

And finally where can I learn how to use the program(s). Is there any tutorials or books I can use that aren't too complicated that will aid me in this venture?

Kind Regards

Kevin

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 2:36 AM

21 replies

Aug 4, 2011 3:01 AM in response to kevtim

Final Cut Studio 3 would be the one you want in that catagory.

Final Cut Pro X (yes, Roman numeral 10, not the letter X) is a good app. It's an immature app and will grow over time. Most bad reviews are by people who either haven't used it, or haven't bothered to properly learn it. It's not an upgrade from FCP7, it's a whole new app, whole new workflow. But still missing a lot of features, and very buggy.

If you do heavy DVD authoring, chapters, etc, stick with FCS3.

Aug 4, 2011 4:32 AM in response to kevtim

What Ben fails to tell you is that Apple has discontinued sale of Final Cut Studio, which included the following Pro Apps; Final Cut Pro, Motion, DVD Studio Pro, Compressor, Soundtrack Pro and Color. In its place they offer FCP-X, which, as Ben states correctly, is an immature application. What that means is that many of the features of the old Final Cut Pro, is somewhat unstable (crashes often and sometimes loses your work). He claims that it will mature over time, but that is just an assumption on his part that Apple will continue to develop the product properly. Motion and Compressor are also still available as a download from Apple.

Since Apple has discontinued the old FCP and DVD Studio Pro, you will have to locate a used copy somewhere unless you are able to find a retailer that still has a new copy available. And it also means that Apple is no longer supporting those products in terms of updates or bug fixes. Essentially, you'd be buying obsolete software.

FCP-X might be what you need. But if you want a more stable, mature editing app with more professional features, you may want to consider Adobe Premier.

-DH

Aug 4, 2011 7:08 AM in response to David Harbsmeier

First, thanks for the info guys. I will probably end up going with FCS3. For now this seems like the best and cheapest option anyway. Whats the difference between FCS3 and FCS3HD besides the obvious. Is the only difference that the HD one supports HD footage whereas FCS3 does not.

Also any good tutorials, books to buy to help me get to grips with it?

Regards

Kevin

Aug 4, 2011 11:39 AM in response to mishmumken

Hey Kevtim.

If you want my opinion, I think you would be good with a solid "academic" version of the software off of ebay. There is a suite out there that has the most current (now all but dead) of each of the prosumer software such as livetype and dvd studio pro. Final cut studio 5.1 is going on ebay for a little over $150.00 and will be more than enough power for you. it has soundtrack pro 1.1, apple loops 1.0, Motion 2, livetype 1.0, dvd studio pro 4.1, and obviously Final cut pro 5.1

If you are buying "obsolete" software, why not get the cheapest most powerful option out there until this Final cut X craziness is fixed? I am 27 and have been in the professional video world since I was 15. I currently run a small studio out my home and have no plans to upgrade to X for at least 6 months. The reason I wouldn't FCS 3, is simply because the changes are great enough to justify spending the extra money for software that is probably done for anyways. And, the fact that DVD studio is pretty much gone for good, you would still be getting the latest version which you could use (for now) until they figure out how to let the "professionals" still mass produce DVDs for sale. Right now, there is no way a professional videographer can edit and burn a 4 hour dance recital DVD set with chapter markers and a custom dvd platform media without using the "outdated" dvd studio pro.....so, I feel these problems will certainly be taken care of...while we are waiting, go spend under $200.00 and become as powerful as a big time studio.

Aug 4, 2011 12:03 PM in response to kevtim

Just to emphasize what Mish said . . . . every version of FCP since FCP 4.5 has been capable of hi-def editing, though the current amateur favourite of AVCHD only started being catered for in FCP 6 and also required an Intel Mac.

Remember there are many different kinds of HD, just as there are numerous flavours of "digital" video.

You have to ensure that your software will accept the kind you shoot.

You cannot assume anything or you could make an expensive mistake.

Aug 4, 2011 4:14 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ok... so any version of Final Cut Studio (FCS, FCS2 or 3) will essentially do the job then? I'm happy with the cheapest option for now if there isn't much point in getting version 3. I assume that all Final Cut Studio editors will be able to edit 25p (pal) footage and 50i (Wiki says final cut Pro 5 is the first editing program in the Final Cut Studio series?).

What's the "academic" version mean by the way? This ends in about a day and it's only at £60:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Final-Cut-Studio-2-/190560687185?pt=UK_Computing_Softw are_Software_SR&hash=item2c5e4d5451#ht_730wt_1140

I assume that if I can get version 2 on the cheap then thats better than Final Cut Studio with FCP5 right?

Please forgive my ignorance about such things. I don't really keep in the loop with software, I just use what I have on my computer.

And many thanks for all the helpful advice. It is very much appreciated.

Kevin

Aug 4, 2011 10:21 PM in response to kevtim

Or Adobe Premiere Pro...

Extremely similar to FCP and it won't stop being made any time soon... Not sure if it will work with your SN (since it is academic), but they have a 50% off discount for persons with a FCP Serial #... CS 5.5 for $800, includes AE, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere plus a few others... darn good deal to take advantage of...

Aug 5, 2011 1:50 AM in response to kevtim

I don't think you have mentioned which computer you use and we natuarally assume it is a fairly up to date model?

Exactly what is it and which OS are you using as this can sometimes affect which apps will work or not?

For example, if you have Lion, Photoshop CS2 will not work. Off the top of my head I don't know the details about the various FCS versions.

Aug 5, 2011 7:07 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ahhhh, ok. I have a MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8). Will that be ok with Final Cut Studio 2? I was thinking about upgading to Lion but I don't mind leaving it to be honest as I'm happy with what I have at the moment.

On the Adobe Premier Pro side of things... Does that come with software like DVD Studio, Motion... etc... as well. My knowledge of Adobe software is even weaker than my knowledge of apple software.

Thanks

Kevin

Aug 6, 2011 11:45 AM in response to mishmumken

Hi Mish

Thanks for the link, I have to say Production Premium looks awesome. However with such a large price tag the 5.5 version is well out of my reach. So how far back can I go with Production Premium, there is version 4 on ebay for around £500 but when Final Cut Studio 2 is selling for around £80 is it worth the pennies?

Should I just settle with FCS2 for now or is it worth getting PP4 or either 3?

Once again thanks for everyones help, would hsve been lost without this thread!

Best

Kevin

Which Final Cut Studio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.