Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My printer won't work unless I turn-on airport

I have a power mac (PPC) and airport extreme connected to the mac - and printer connected by USB to the airport extreme. My Power Mac is directly connected to the ethernet and does not need airport to connect to the internet. So that is modem to Mac and modem to Airport Extreme - then Extreme to printer (usb).

If I turn off airport on the Mac the computer cannot find the airport extreme - and the printer will not work

I am buying a Power Mac Intel - that does not have airport extreme card installed. Does this mean I will not be able to use my printer again? (via airport extreme)

Is my connection incorrect?

Does the airport extreme no

t work with Macs without an eirport extreme card installed?

Appreciate help with the set-up. I can leave airport on for now - but how will I use the new computer?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 2:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 9:03 AM

It sounds like youre setup is a bit mixed up. Yes, your connection is incorrect.

I'd suggest connecting your internet connection (DSL, cable modem, whatever) to the airport extreme WAN port.

Connect your PPC to one of the Extreme's LAN ports, and connect your printer to the Extreme USB port. You can then connect your new PowerMac to another of the LAN ports, or connect wirelessly if you setup a wifi network using the extreme.

You can then share the printer with any of the computers on the wired and wifi networks.

By having your internet connection going to just the one computer, it will be the only one that can use it, instead of sharing it with other devices. also, since your printer is connected to the airport extreme and can be shared, the extreme will have to be on for ANY computer to use it.

The best aproach would be to do a factory reset of the Extreme and start reconfiguring from scratch. First get your internet connection back and then add the printer. Post back if you need further help.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2011 9:03 AM in response to hk richard

It sounds like youre setup is a bit mixed up. Yes, your connection is incorrect.

I'd suggest connecting your internet connection (DSL, cable modem, whatever) to the airport extreme WAN port.

Connect your PPC to one of the Extreme's LAN ports, and connect your printer to the Extreme USB port. You can then connect your new PowerMac to another of the LAN ports, or connect wirelessly if you setup a wifi network using the extreme.

You can then share the printer with any of the computers on the wired and wifi networks.

By having your internet connection going to just the one computer, it will be the only one that can use it, instead of sharing it with other devices. also, since your printer is connected to the airport extreme and can be shared, the extreme will have to be on for ANY computer to use it.

The best aproach would be to do a factory reset of the Extreme and start reconfiguring from scratch. First get your internet connection back and then add the printer. Post back if you need further help.

Aug 4, 2011 10:37 AM in response to lunieri

Thanks for this

I never felt the connection ws correct - though it was apple support that took me through it. I don't understand though why my airport extreme cannot be recognized unless airport is turned-on - even though it is connected via ethernet. I have argued with support there is something wrong with the airport extreme.

If I turn-off airport on the power mac then the airport extreme box cannot be recognized even if I connect only it with ethernet cable (I thought the idea of airport extreme box was to create a network)

We have a mac book that prints ok wirelessly - so the system works for now - as long as airport is turned-on on the power mac

I won't have 2 computers connected to the AE - I will only use the new Power Mac if I buy it. My concern is that it doesn't have an airport extreme card - and my Airport Extreme box does not work without airport turned-on.

appreciate if you think my AE is malfunctioning and I should return it before the warranty expires

Aug 4, 2011 8:45 PM in response to lunieri

Nope

that didn't work.

I followed the connections as you said and the computer cannot connect to the ethernet now - cannot find PPoE

I tried turning off the airport on the computer and the airport express cannot be found anywhere

I am only back online with airport back on and my computer plugged ethernet back into the modem/router

The ethernet extreme DOES NOT work without airport turned-on - and so does not work on a mac computer without an airport card?

bummer

airport extreme has been the most frustrating kit I ever bought - I think

Aug 5, 2011 9:29 AM in response to hk richard

Sorry, I didn't realize that your ISP uses PPPoE.

Did you use the Airport wizard to setup the airport using PPPoE?

Here's some guides that will help you get the setup correct.

AirPort: Can Connect to Base Station But Not to Internet When Using PPPoE

Mac OS X: Connecting to the Internet with PPPoE

Mac OS X: Troubleshooting a PPPoE Internet Connection

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=answerlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.apple .com%2Fkb%2FTS1871&answerid=16777216&src=support_site.kbase.search

Aug 5, 2011 5:28 PM in response to lunieri

Thanks for this - but what is the PPoE tab??? I kind of know what it is - but each set of instructions says:

system preferences > network > built-in ethernet > "click the PPoE tab"

PPoE tab doesn't exist on my machine?! I am using 10.5.8 on a PowerPC G5

there is an 'advanced' tab > that opens a new window with 5 tab options: TCP/IP DNS WINS Proxies and PPP (is the PPP button it? -It does have "connect automatically when needed" as in the first information.

It occurs to me that the airport extreme is working (process of elimination) and that the problem might be the modem and service provider - not allowing the circit to operate properly.

Should I be able to use the airport extreme base station with a new (refurbished) intel G% that does not have a airport card in it? I can't find an answer to this question. - have to guess that because it doesn't say I can't that "it will" in a kind of logic.

Appreciate your help

My printer won't work unless I turn-on airport

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.