Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing Internet between Mac and PC

Hi,

I just bought a new MacBook Pro from US and now using it in India. I wanted to ask if I could share the internet between my PC and the Mac via LAN.

If I have EV-DO internet running on DELL, and I want to use the same on MacBook via sharing.

On DELL XPS, I have a genuine Windows 7 Ultimate installed. On Mac OS, I have OSx Snow Leopard 10.6.7 installed.

I found something here http://macosx.com/forums/switchers-wind ... ac-pc.html, but except turning on internet sharing, nothing else helped. Please suggest something.

To turn my Windows machine into a hotspot using Connectify or Virtual Router doesn't help either since the network card in Dell isn't compatible with these softwares. Consequently, I am trying to use LAN for this purpose.

I still have been struggling with to get this working. The EV-DO (USB) is running fine on the PC and I have connected the PC to Mac via Lan cable.

Mac OS: Mac OSx 10.6.7

Win OS: Win 7 Ultimate

LAN properties:

IPv4 address: 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

Mac network preferences:

IPv4 address: 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.0.1

DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

Here's what the network utility of Mac has to say when I pinged the PC's IP:

User uploaded file

I could not still set the default gateway in Lan properties to 192.168.0.1.

Here's ipconfig of my system:

User uploaded file

I also tried removing default gateway using route delete 0.0.0.0 -> Ok!

But, the default gateway still remains the same. Is only this gateway part left because the rest seems to be fine?

Are the steps followed correct since I still can't open any websites on Mac? How can I go ahead with this?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Core i7, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 4:53 AM

2 replies

Aug 4, 2011 5:49 AM in response to harpreet31

Yes. It's relatively straight-forward to Internet sharing... However, you don't want to turn on Internet Connection Sharing on the Mac since it's the Windows PC's Internet (EV-DO) you want to share.

You want to follow these instructions on enabling Internet Connection Sharing under Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-S haring#section_2

On the Mac side, once this is setup on the Windows PC, you want to go to network preferences, select your LAN connection and set it up. Make sure that "Configure IPv4" is set to "Using DHCP", and if it hasn't already got its configuration from the Windows system, clikc on the "Advanced" tab, select the "TCP/IP" tab, and click the button "Renew DHCP Lease".

That's it.

THe only thing that seems peculiar is that your PPP connection doesn't list a default route. Also, you'll want to check the DHCP config you receive includes the DNS servers -- otherwise you will need to specify those manually.

Aug 4, 2011 6:39 AM in response to J D McIninch

You want to follow these instructions on enabling Internet Connection Sharing under Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-S haring#section_2

On the Mac side, once this is setup on the Windows PC, you want to go to network preferences, select your LAN connection and set it up. Make sure that "Configure IPv4" is set to "Using DHCP", and if it hasn't already got its configuration from the Windows system, clikc on the "Advanced" tab, select the "TCP/IP" tab, and click the button "Renew DHCP Lease".

Hi J D McIninch,

Thanks for the reply. ICS on Windows machine was enabled seeing the steps.

I connected the Lan to my Macbook and it didn't fetch any configuration itself. I tried doing that using DHCP Lease too, but I doesn't fetch any information again.

What could be the reason behind this and how can I overcome this?

Sharing Internet between Mac and PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.