Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 3gs screen dim after water damage. Solutions?

Oh dear.

I got water into my iphone during a bike ride and now the screen is dim. I can only look at the phone's display under a light now. I have tried adjusting the brightness with no joy.

I can make phone calls, surf the web and can still play music - the back light just won't work!

I'm going to leave it to dry out in a warm place. Can an iphone recover from this?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 5:48 AM

The answer is maybe, but until it is dry you should not use it to avoid further damage.

8 replies

Aug 6, 2011 4:30 PM in response to alistairwolves

Well, I just turned it on and the backlight is still not working though everything else seems fine with the phone.

There seem to be a lot of 'independent' firms out there that claim they can fix the problem but aren't able to diagnose how 'deep' the repair needs to be ie: is it just a component or is the phone well and truly trashed?

If I take it to my local Apple store, will they be able to give me an assessment of how deep the water damage is?

Thanks, Alistair

Aug 6, 2011 7:46 PM in response to gdgmacguy

gdgmacguy,

in most cases, the geniuses ARE able to replace the glass from displays on 3gs phones for the 99 dollar charge if none of the internal hardware is damaged. the iphone 4 are the ones that can not have front displays replaced, since the hardware is built from the screen up. unfortunately since water damage seems to be the issue for the OP your mention of the 199 replacement will probably be the solution.

alistairwolives,

they will be able to open up the phone and view the extent of the damage. from there they can tell you what the best options would be. make sure to make an appointment though, stores are very busy in the summer!

Aug 7, 2011 5:30 AM in response to alistairwolves

alistairwolves wrote:

Well, I just turned it on and the backlight is still not working though everything else seems fine with the phone.

There seem to be a lot of 'independent' firms out there that claim they can fix the problem but aren't able to diagnose how 'deep' the repair needs to be ie: is it just a component or is the phone well and truly trashed?

If I take it to my local Apple store, will they be able to give me an assessment of how deep the water damage is?

Thanks, Alistair

How much damage will there be? difficult to answer as it is still happening, everytime you turn the phone on it exarcebates the reactions causing corrosion in your phone, about 4 weeks after the incident you'll have a handle on what works, even then it'll still be a moving target.

Try to stop turning it on and off, really not helping.

Aug 7, 2011 12:22 PM in response to alistairwolves

Dear all,

Thanks for all your advice. I thought I would conclude the story, while at the same time offering some advice.

I made it to the Apple Store today having booked an appointment. The genius took it away, took it apart and diagnosed the problem pretty quickly. The water had got through the earpiece, necessitating a new screen. The logic board was tested and was fine. No water had got into the headphone socket, the speakers or the charger. All good. Cost for replacement screen was £79. For the record, the cost for a new logic board (essentially a new phone) would have been £129 through Apple

So why am I writing all this? Well, it was simply to encourage anyone wth the same problem to go to the Apple Store for the diagnosis and then repair. Admittedly, the cost of the screen was higher than the price other firms were charging for the part, but there was no guarantee that the repair that they made would work. Many firms were asking for a fee just to look at the phone.

I expect a lot of people will write in and say that I am doing a lot of firms a disservice. I probably am. They no doubt will charge less for the repair. However, my experience of the Apple Store was that the problem was solved quickly with plenty of help and advice on the way. The genius even recommended a waterproof case that was not sold in the Apple Store! If the problem had been deeper than the screen (eg a new coil), I think other firms would have added more and more extras before finally solving the problem. I would be paying for their 'guesses'. One firm for example said if it was the logic board, a new phone (reconditioned) would cost £180.

Anyway a happy ending. Thanks again for all your help.

iphone 3gs screen dim after water damage. Solutions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.