Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swiping to switch spaces stopped working in Lion

A couple days ago I noticed that I could no longer switch spaces using a three-finger swipe gesture on my magic trackpad. I finally got it working again and thought I'd share in case someone else is having this problem:

Make sure 'Swipe between full-screen apps' is enabled in the System Preferences --> Trackpad --> More Gestures. (It should already be on, of course.)

Take Safari full screen by clicking the diagonal arrows doodad in the top right corner of the window.

That's it. Once I took Safari full screen, swiping between spaces started working again (and continued working after Safari was no longer full screen).

Hope this is useful to someone.

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 8:58 AM

6 replies

Aug 6, 2011 12:20 PM in response to ray hatfield

Thank you!

I had a similar issue, but I found an easier way to fix it.

I've just bought magic trackpad, and had all the gestures working except switching spaces/fullscreen apps. Could be caused by the fact I turned on three fingers dragging only to turn it off later.

So, I went to Preferences -> Trackpad -> More Gestures and switched Swipe from four fingers to three, and it simply started working.

My guess is gestures can conflict with each other, so to avoid conflicts Trackpad Settings change conflicting values in other gestures. Apparently, the new gestures might not be enabled after such automatic change. You have to re-enable them manually by changing values.

Swiping to switch spaces stopped working in Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.