10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2012 7:04 PM by Adriaan Renting
MPMeyer Level 1 (45 points)

Before updating to Lion, I had JDiskReport installed.

After updating to Lion, it says it can't run Power PC app.

I installed Java, and replaced the JavaApplicationStub in the JDiskReport.app/Contents/MacOS with the Lion version.

Still when I try to run JDiskReport, Lion tells me it can run a PowerPC app.

Is there an attribute or something I need to clear so that it will run JDiskReport?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • leroydouglas Level 6 (17,797 points)

If JDiskReport is a ppc app it will not run on Lion.  Not supported.  It ran on Snow Leopard under Rossetta,  which has been removed from 10.7

It appears to be. 

pic.png

• MPMeyer Level 1 (45 points)

It is a Java app, which as a packaged JavaApplicationStub which was ppc, but I replaced it with the Lion version.

Somehow the app has become marked as ppc, even though I removed the ppc JavaApplicationStub.

I did a further test and completely deleted the app, downloaded a fresh version, replaced the JavaApplicationStub before even running it.  It starts fine now.

There must be some attribute or entry in Lion that it looks at first, before inspecting the app if it is ppc, or not. 

• dhoehle Level 1 (0 points)

MPMeyer what exactly did you do to get it to run?

1.  I redownload the app, and dropped into Applications

2.  make sure that you have Java installed on Lion, go to  apple site to install it.

3.  Open the Applications folder in Finder, find the app and choose show package contents.

4.  Find JavaApplicationStub,

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MacOS/JavaAppli cationStub

5.  Copy it into the Contents/MacOS folder of the Application from step 4.

I had to re-download the app, since there must be some kind of attribute set on the app that does not let it run, even after I updated the JavaApplicationStub.

Couldn't find javaapplicationstub.  Any advice?  Thanks.....

You have to install Java, Apple removed if from Lion.  http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1421

Then you can locate JavaApplicationStub in:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MacOS

If it is not there try to find from a terminal window, type the command:

mdfind JavaApplicationStub

It should list matches, one will be the right one, ...

Worked!  Thanks..........

• morazl Level 1 (0 points)

I also can confirm that replacing JavaApplicationStub from where it's located in Lion: (/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MacOS/JavaApp licationStub) and copying the file to the package contents of Jdisk report works.

MPMeyer wrote:

1.  I redownload the app, and dropped into Applications

2.  make sure that you have Java installed on Lion, go to  apple site to install it.

3.  Open the Applications folder in Finder, find the app and choose show package contents.

4.  Find JavaApplicationStub,

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MacOS/JavaAppli cationStub

5.  Copy it into the Contents/MacOS folder of the Application from step 4.

I had to re-download the app, since there must be some kind of attribute set on the app that does not let it run, even after I updated the JavaApplicationStub.

Yup.  Also found that moving or renaming/rename back seemed to make OS X forget about the fact it was marked as PPC.

• Adriaan Renting Level 1 (5 points)

MPMeyer wrote:

Yup.  Also found that moving or renaming/rename back seemed to make OS X forget about the fact it was marked as PPC.

This also worked for a Java application I had called PCGen.

Renaming the directory apparently makes something somewhere in  OSX forget that it's a PPC application after updating JavaApplicationStub.

Many thanks.