Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion, Mail ... Cannot Move Messages

I recently encountered an error when I try to move a message from my Inbox to a mailbox on my Mac. A mailbox inside Mail.

I get this message ...

An error occurred while moving messages to mailbox "the name of the mailbox".

I shut down Mail and ran Repair Permissions in Disk Utility. At first, that seemed to correct this issue. However, it quickly popped back up.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, please post this issue to Apple so that it will get addressed in the next Lion/Mail release.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 10:27 AM

17 replies

Oct 4, 2011 3:44 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

I am having the same problem with Mail on Lion.

I currently have a pop mail account, with mail downloaded into my inbox. I have also imported email from a .mbox file into Mail. This shows up under a folder "Imported" under ON MY MAC. When I try to move messages from the imported folders into inbox, I get the error message: "An error occurred while moving messages to mailbox “Inbox — {NAME}." I have tried importing different messages without responses or follow ups, but I get the same error.

Does anybody know what is going on?

Dec 22, 2011 11:31 PM in response to 1 Open Loop

Well I am experiencing this issue too, and although I haven't found a solution, I have found one more piece of evidence that a more savvy community member might figure out.

When selecting a single message or a group of messages, whether using the right click function or selecting, clicking and dragging said messages into a folder, the error occurs when one or more of the messages has not fully loaded. even if all of the messages but one have loaded, it will not move any of them. If you see the subject line AND a preview of the message, it will move it. If you only see the subject line and NO preview it wont work. Anyone understand why that might be?

Just a little more info that might help, I have 6 email accounts linked to my mail application, and 4 of them are POP. It believe it only happens with emails recieved only by my POP accounts. I hope this helps!

Thanks all

Dec 23, 2011 5:31 AM in response to kshipp

I would say that makes a bit of sense in the way messages are displayed. The listing is generated from a database that stores all the listing info and links to the raw email file for display of the message. So, if there is no raw file yet (hasn't been downloaded), then I would imagine it wouldn't know what to do.

I think it should handle the issue better, but I think what you describe makes sense.

What it should do is move the message and download it to that storage location in the background, which it doesn't seem to be able to handle.

Mar 12, 2012 2:14 AM in response to Barney-15E

I had the problem of getting "An error occurred while moving messages to mailbox "the name of the mailbox" when trying to copy messages from a Gmail IMAP account to a folder "On My Mac". I found a workaround!

The backstory is the Gmail account was going to deleted as I no longer work for the business that provided it for me, I went and downloaded all emails to Mail so I could still reference them if needed. I thought I had downloaded everything but it looks like not every bit of data was completely downloaded. The Gmail account has now been deleted. It is weird as Mail can still decifer everything and read all the messages that appear.

Go to File > "Import Mailboxes...". Select "Apple Mail" as the source. The in the window that pops up locate User Folder > Library > Mail > V2 (the only folder?) > "IMAP Account" > "Source Mailbox.mbox". Select as many mailboxes as you need to import. I did 6 and they all showed up in their entirity although it took a minute for all 5000 emails to register when I selected all.

Hope that helps anyone!

Lion, Mail ... Cannot Move Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.