Skip navigation

Lion, Mail ... Cannot Move Messages

6813 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2013 3:21 PM by msiniscal RSS
1 2 Previous Next
1 Open Loop Level 2 Level 2 (350 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 4, 2011 10:27 AM

I recently encountered an error when I try to move a message from my Inbox to a mailbox on my Mac. A mailbox inside Mail.

I get this message ...

An error occurred while moving messages to mailbox "the name of the mailbox".

I shut down Mail and ran Repair Permissions in Disk Utility. At first, that seemed to correct this issue. However, it quickly popped back up.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, please post this issue to Apple so that it will get addressed in the next Lion/Mail release.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Thanks.

• MHTechSolutions Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)
    Aug 4, 2011 12:18 PM (in response to 1 Open Loop)

Are you using POP, IMAP, Exchange Server with this issue?

- Mark

MH Tech Solutions, LLC.

• MHTechSolutions Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)
    Aug 8, 2011 5:58 AM (in response to 1 Open Loop)

Just so I understand, the mailbox you are trying to move the message to is a local one on your Mac, and not a folder within your MobileMe inbox?

- Mark

MH Tech Solutions, LLC.

• lewisfromcharlotte Calculating status...
    Sep 9, 2011 7:21 AM (in response to 1 Open Loop)

I am experiencing this same issue since I upgraged to Lion. It doesn't always happen but when it does it always happens to an email that has more that one item in the envelope. For instance the original email + a response and a follow up. Always 2 or more items with in the mail item I am trying to move. It is very frustrating.

• bannoch Calculating status...
    Oct 4, 2011 3:44 AM (in response to 1 Open Loop)

I am having the same problem with Mail on Lion.

I currently have a pop mail account, with mail downloaded into my inbox.  I have also imported email from a .mbox file into Mail.  This shows up under a folder "Imported" under ON MY MAC.  When I try to move messages from the imported folders into inbox, I get the error message: "An error occurred while moving messages to mailbox “Inbox — {NAME}."  I have tried importing different messages without responses or follow ups, but I get the same error.

Does anybody know what is going on?

• DarthNo Calculating status...
    Nov 10, 2011 9:02 PM (in response to bannoch)

I've had the similar problem. When I try to move a mail from my Inbox account to a folder ON MY MAC, I get the same error message  as "bannoch" for a few weeks now. Please help!

• simonjr Calculating status...
    Nov 10, 2011 11:55 PM (in response to 1 Open Loop)

Get the same error message quite often since moving to Lion - but if close then restart Mail the messages have been moved.

Someone suggested doing a Rebuild of the mailbox and this seems to help for a short while.

• kshipp Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 22, 2011 11:31 PM (in response to 1 Open Loop)

Well I am experiencing this issue too, and although I haven't found a solution, I have found one more piece of evidence that a more savvy community member might figure out.

When selecting a single message or a group of messages, whether using the right click function or selecting, clicking and dragging said messages into a folder, the error occurs when one or more of the messages has not fully loaded. even if all of the messages but one have loaded, it will not move any of them. If you see the subject line AND a preview of the message, it will move it. If you only see the subject line and NO preview it wont work. Anyone understand why that might be?

Just a little more info that might help, I have 6 email accounts linked to my mail application, and 4 of them are POP. It believe it only happens with emails recieved only by my POP accounts. I hope this helps!

Thanks all

• Barney-15E Level 7 Level 7 (33,385 points)
    Dec 23, 2011 5:31 AM (in response to kshipp)

I would say that makes a bit of sense in the way messages are displayed. The listing is generated from a database that stores all the listing info and links to the raw email file for display of the message. So, if there is no raw file yet (hasn't been downloaded), then I would imagine it wouldn't know what to do.

I think it should handle the issue better, but I think what you describe makes sense.

What it should do is move the message and download it to that storage location in the background, which it doesn't seem to be able to handle.

• kshipp Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 23, 2011 4:12 PM (in response to Barney-15E)

Thanks Barney. I also think that if you have accessed your email server and deleted the message there, it still shows the message title and sender info, but you can't load or move the message obviously. I think that's what happened to me. My server automatically deleted my messages, so I couldn't load or move them.

• art4therapy Calculating status...
    Feb 19, 2012 8:55 AM (in response to 1 Open Loop)

So let me understand this... if I'm deleting junk email off of my iphone, and then return to my computer to throw away the same email, this message "null trash cannot do..." pops up bcuz there is no content on the server?

• Barney-15E Level 7 Level 7 (33,385 points)
    Feb 19, 2012 4:55 PM (in response to art4therapy)

I would more think it is because something didn't sync correctly.

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.