Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A pop up is displayed every 10 seconds "You can't open the application NotificationExec because PowerPC applications are no longer supported"

Shortly after upgrading to version 10.7, I installed an application that was not compatable with the LION operating system. The application was for an external Maxtor hard drive that appearantly was intened for an earlier Mac operating system.

Now I get the popup "You can't open the application NotificationExec because PowerPC applications are no longer supported" about every 10 seconds.

How to I get rid of this.

There is nothing to Force Quit. The process (if it is a process) does not show up in Activity Monitor. I have also tried to use the KILLALL command but no process is found by that name.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 12:45 PM

6 replies

Sep 9, 2011 12:05 PM in response to leroydouglas

I have exactly the same problem, I've opened Login items from Users&groups but I can see only Skype, iTunes and dropbox. And they're not the problem because I have had them since I started using my mac.

I've deleted the application of the exernal driver (the one that causes the problem) from the applications folder but the message continues to pop-out.

What can I do?

Thank you for your help.

Jan 20, 2014 1:00 PM in response to tomgibbons

Absolutely frustrated by the same problem, just lost 3 hours of my day trying to uninstall after getting the same error message. The ONLY thing that worked for me was going to the following Maxtor (Seagate) URL:

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/199931en

I downloaded their "remove maxtor sw.zip" file

Click here to download the remove_maxtor_sw.zip file and store it on your system's desktop.

And it worked perfectly. Took 10 seconds and - after restarting - it was done.

What a waste of the day!!!

A pop up is displayed every 10 seconds "You can't open the application NotificationExec because PowerPC applications are no longer supported"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.