Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Badge Indicates 5 Unread Messages, There Aren't Any.

I got Lion 2 days after it was released, a couple days later I logged into YouTube with my Google account, as I had logged out to log into another account. This was the first time I had logged into YouTube using this account since I got Lion, as I was logged in previously and it kept me logged in, Safari was nice and offered to set up that account for Mail, Contacts, and Calendars so, even though I already had the account set up for Mail, I clicked on "Setup", "Ok", or whatever it is that it said, and it set it up for me, this was all fine.

I then went into Settings and cliked on the new "Mail, Contacts, and Calendars" button that was added in Lion, I noticed that it had the account set up, but then set up again for iChat, there were to accounts set up, one had iChat, the other had everything else.

So, I deactivated the one with just iChat, and activated iChat for the other one, well... it didn't like that, I check the box and it immediately unchecks, repeatedly.

I eventually just remove both accounts and setup the account anually for everything. That goes well, and everything goes fine.

Then, the next morning, I notice that I have 5 unread emails, on my iPhone 4 and my Mac. I open Mail on my Mac to read them, and I see no unread emails. The badge is still there, and the Inbox button has a "(5)" next to it, and when I open the menu to see all the mailboxes, it has a "5" next to my inbox there as well, but there are no messages displaying as unread.

I decide to go to gmail.com and view my inbox there. (Now that I think about it, I think that my iPhone didn't show as having any unread emails.) I see that there are 5 unread emails, I read them and hope that will fix the problem.

I'm here asking about it, so it didn't...

There are still 5 unread emails, I tryed restarting Mail, that didn't help, I've even restarted my computer a few times since then, I tryed removing the Gmail account, at which point the "5" goes away, but it comes back when I re-add the account.

The number does go up to 6, 7, 8, etc. when more emails come in, but it never goes below 5, I can have 1 email and it will display a "6".

Thanks for reading the lengthy post, I like to provide as much detail as possible.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Mid 2010 model

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 4:38 PM

12 replies

Aug 4, 2011 5:32 PM in response to Timothy Westman-Barth

Did you try disabling your mailbadge or deleting it? Is this the MailBadge software?

or you just talking about the inbox count showing on the icon?

IMAP or POP?

You can try this

1. Quit Mail if it’s open.

2. In ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData, delete any file that begins with “Envelope Index,” ex. Envelope Index or Envelope Index-shm.

Found in your Home Library folder is hidden by default. To display it, choose Finder > “Go" and hold the option key down.

3. Open Mail.

Mail creates new Envelope Index files. This process may take some time depending on how many messages Mail is reindexing.

Aug 6, 2011 7:26 AM in response to Timothy Westman-Barth

Ok, so during the night I received two emails, the badge had a "1" on it. So, I'm thinking that it's saying that there's 1 fewer messages than there are.

My iPhone 4, with the latest software, also displayed a "1". Which would lead me to believe that it's a problem with the Gmail account, not Mail on my Mac or iPhone.

iTunes is set to sync Mail accounts though, so that could have something to do with it.

Any ideas?

Oct 7, 2012 6:09 PM in response to leroydouglas

This solved my problem perfectly and on the first try!!! Thanks so much!!!

leroydouglas wrote:

Did you try disabling your mailbadge or deleting it? Is this the MailBadge software?

or you just talking about the inbox count showing on the icon?

IMAP or POP?

You can try this

1. Quit Mail if it’s open.

2. In ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData, delete any file that begins with “Envelope Index,” ex. Envelope Index or Envelope Index-shm.

Found in your Home Library folder is hidden by default. To display it, choose Finder > “Go" and hold the option key down.

3. Open Mail.

Mail creates new Envelope Index files. This process may take some time depending on how many messages Mail is reindexing.

Oct 7, 2012 6:25 PM in response to MrsShim

Haha, I had the problem for a couple of months... actually that's what I thought, but then I checked the time between me posting my question and me posting the solution from an Apple Genius, and it was almost a year. Although I probably didn't post the answer until a couple of weeks after I got it, I wasn't as active here back then.

Mail Badge Indicates 5 Unread Messages, There Aren't Any.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.