Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"main.scpt" run error on startup

Hello,

My new iMac was recently in for service thanks to Apple putting a faulty 1TB Seagate hard drive into it, and now that I have it back, a script error shows up every time I reboot. It tells me that "main.scpt" cannot run because it is set to "run-only" and cannot be edited. From what I understand, main.scpt tells the computer which programs to run on startup. Despite the error, nothing seems to be wrong and my computer runs fine after I close the notifications.

When I try to access the main.scpt file, it tells me that it cannot be opened for the same reasons given above. This doesn't seem to be affecting the performance of my computer, but it is an annoyance.

I am still currently running Snow Leopard - will upgrading to Lion take care of this issue? If not, does anyone have any idea as to how I can make this error message stop appearing?

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), i7 3.6GHZ - 4GB RAM

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 7:17 PM

Try repairing permissions.

Never heard of main.scpt. Startup stuff comes from a number of directories (for example /Library/StartupItems, /Libary/LaunchAgents, and others). Is this problem happening during boot or when you log into your account? If it's the latter look in your Accounts' preferences login items.

Note, maybe whoever serviced your machine added some startup (automator?) script to one of the startup/login locations (and maybe fouled up your permissions).

Update:

Out of curiousity where did you find that main.scpt file?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2011 7:17 PM in response to Sparechange49

Try repairing permissions.

Never heard of main.scpt. Startup stuff comes from a number of directories (for example /Library/StartupItems, /Libary/LaunchAgents, and others). Is this problem happening during boot or when you log into your account? If it's the latter look in your Accounts' preferences login items.

Note, maybe whoever serviced your machine added some startup (automator?) script to one of the startup/login locations (and maybe fouled up your permissions).

Update:

Out of curiousity where did you find that main.scpt file?

"main.scpt" run error on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.