Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro early 2008 freezing only in OSX

Hi everyone,

My macbook pro early 2008 (last model before the unibodies), 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb, 8600GT freezes only in OSX.

I'm typing this message right now on the same computer, but on windows 7, bootcamp.

Whenever I boot up OSX the system freezes every few seconds for a minute, only to resume work a few seconds before freezing again.

I know it isn´t a harware fault, since I can still boot up in windows 7 and use the snow leopard CD, which brings me to the next point.

I´ve allready used the disk verifty (which pointed out errors) and the disk repair (which was succesful).

I´ve also verified permissions and repaired them successfully.

What I´ve also done is turn off the sudden motion sensor.

The last thing I´ve tried is running the software update, making sure the system is up to date.

The battery is a few months old (new one) and the power cable works as well.

All of which did not work. I really don´t want to do a complete disk wipe since the backing up is horrendous.

I´ve read a lot on the subject, but since I don´t use an external monitor or have the unibody one the supposed solutions do not apply to me.

Thanks for you help!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 5:47 PM

Disconnect all peripherals from your computer and try safe booting - Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

User uploaded file

4 replies

Aug 5, 2011 4:01 AM in response to CMCSK

It does not happen in safe mode. The computer does slow down a lot, is that normal?

I checked the crash logs directory but it did not show any errors.

Also, I can't log in to this site using safe mode. Does it use flash or something else that's disabled in safe mode?

Safari quit once stating that flash player quit.

What's my next step?

Aug 5, 2011 4:38 PM in response to Thonz

Thonz wrote:

No other replies than the standard ones? This cannot be an uncommon problem I'm facing.

Please help me out!

You have already tried the "standard" troubleshooting solutions. Most times an issue cannot be diagnosed unless the computer is physically examined by a repair tech.

How large is your hard drive and how much hard drive space do you have left? Not enough space can cause the issues you are having as well as a failing hard drive -

Common symptoms of a dying hard drive are the following:

Hard drive is making a clicking, whirring, grinding, ping pong ball noise or any other type of unusual noises.

Hard drive is not spinning.

Computer is not recognizing the hard drive.

Sluggish loading of applications.

System freezes and hangs.

If you have Apple Care, give them a call. Otherwise, take the computer to an Apple store or an AASP for a proper diagnoses.

User uploaded file

Macbook pro early 2008 freezing only in OSX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.