Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore to factory settings

Hi,

I bought my computer with Snow Leopard and recently upgraded to Lion. I wanted to restore my computer to factory settings. I have a back-up of the stuff I want to keep and I was wondering what would be the easiest way to do this. Can I factory reinstall from Lion OSX? I tried popping in my Snow Leopard Disc but when I try and install it back from Lion I get a message that says I need Mac OSX 23.1.1.1.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

pgudme

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 8:01 PM

4 replies

Aug 4, 2011 8:12 PM in response to pgudme

If you are content that you have what you need well backed up, you pop in the original Snow Leopard disk and boot from that rather than your hard drive. Then you use disk utility to delete the contents of your hard drive. At that point it will let you do a full install from the original media. You will have your Mac back the way it was when you purchased it.

How to restore to factory settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.