Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving clips to different event in Final Cut Pro X

Getting used to the Events library, I need to move some clips between events. I have tried two different methods (see below) which are both a bit tedious and prone to errors and I was hoping that some of you have found a better way?

Method 1: Copy and delete (tedious and insufficient)

I simply drag the files from the "old" events folder to the new one. It now copies the files (which takes time with large HD files) and I then have to delete the old event afterwards. However, if media files are referenced in projects already, this does not work as the links to the "old" clips remain.

Method 2: Merge events function (dangerous!)

I cmd-select two events (e.g. source event library with clips I want to move and target event library where clips are collected) and I choose "File : Merge Events". I then re-use the name of the event where I want all the clips stored (was nervous doing this the first time :-). This method is fast and seems to move the files and existing files stay put in the target event folder. HOWEVER, if there are clips with same file-names in both events it seems that FCPx simply removes them both rather than prompting what it should do or keep one of them. You then end up with both entries in the resulting event library but the actual media files are missing and must be restored from Time Machine (could not find them in trash). So be careful here.

Thanks for your help in advance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 4:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 9:44 AM

Troels

If your original media files are in the Final Cut Events folder on your hard drive, you can move clips from one event to another in the Events Library, and they will be moved in the Final Cut Events folder on the hard drive. Be sure that you're not trying to move events from an Event's keyword collection to another Event.

If you move an Event that is already in the timeline, the Event will be moved, but FCPX will create an alias (reference) to the moved event in the Event folder it was moved from, as it assumes you want the event to stay in the timeline.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2011 9:44 AM in response to Troels Kolding

Troels

If your original media files are in the Final Cut Events folder on your hard drive, you can move clips from one event to another in the Events Library, and they will be moved in the Final Cut Events folder on the hard drive. Be sure that you're not trying to move events from an Event's keyword collection to another Event.

If you move an Event that is already in the timeline, the Event will be moved, but FCPX will create an alias (reference) to the moved event in the Event folder it was moved from, as it assumes you want the event to stay in the timeline.

Aug 17, 2011 9:44 AM in response to Jeaux

Thanks for your assistance. My FCPx appears to be behaving differently? As example I just tried to left-click on a clip in an event (not inside keyword collection but from raw event folder) and I drag it to another event folder (again not keyword collection). The file is not in any time-line/project. FCPx copies the file and now I have two media files of same size on my hard-drive but in two different Event folders. What am I doing wrong?

Moving clips to different event in Final Cut Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.