Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Autofill problems in Safari 5.1

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core i5

OSX 10.6.8

Safari 5.1

Safari no longer Autofills blank forms. Instead, I get a little pop up window that says "Autofill" and shows an Addressbook card icon. When I hit "return" or "tab" (which used to Autofill the form), nothing happens. Also, that Autofill icon does not disappear (blocking out the webpage I'm trying to read) and sometimes remains even when I progress to a new webpage.

Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it? I have already trashed the Safari plist in preferences.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 7:29 AM

12 replies

Sep 22, 2011 4:25 PM in response to Peugeotguy

Make sure you are logged into your admin account.

You can type in: Safari Forms Autofill in the search field top right corner of the Keychain Access window. Maybe that will find it for you.

And try deleting the cache.db file.

Quit Safari if it's open.

Open a Finder window select your Home folder in the Sidebar on the left. Then open the Library folder, then the Caches folder, then the com.apple.Safari folder.

Move the cache.db file from the com.apple.Safari folder to the Trash.

Relaunch Safari.

Nov 11, 2013 6:45 PM in response to Kazzabaz

Hello Karen, not really. I decided that the 5.1 update to Safari changed this feature and won't allow us to do the auto fill-in any longer. You now get the pop window which adds an extra step when you sign up for a new website or filling out a form instead of automatically filling in your information. I also mourn the removal of this feature. Sorry not to be much help on this. Lyndon

Nov 11, 2013 7:35 PM in response to Peugeotguy

Hi again Peugeotguy,

Good news.

Carolyn Samit made a suggestion in another thread which solved the problem in this thread for me.

Here is what she suggested:

From your Safari menu bar (top of your screen) click View > Cuatomize Toolbar

Click and drag the Autofill icon User uploaded file straight up to the Safari Toolabr either side of the url/search bar.

You can click the Autofil icon from there.

So I just ignore that unclickable autofill popup when it arrives and just click the newly installed autofill icon on the toolbar instead and voila, it fills all the form fields for me like it used to.

Let me know if it works for you.

Kind regards,

Karen.

Autofill problems in Safari 5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.