6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2011 7:55 PM by elikness
pimentel Level 1 Level 1

How Can I use a SDxc Card 64 Gb as a HD for FCPX

I want to use this card for Editing a small Project since I have an SSD internal drive that is very small..

How can I make it show on the Projects Tab?

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7)
Solved by pimentel on Aug 5, 2011 5:41 PM Solved

It work!!!!!!!!!!   thanks.....  for the help

Reply by elikness on Aug 5, 2011 11:32 AM Helpful

Does your computer have an SD card slot built-in? Some of the latpops and iMacs do have the card slot built in. If you have a built-in SD card slot you can format the card using Disk Utility as a native Mac OS Extended format. Then it will be recognized by as a usable storage area on your computer, and appear in the Projects Tab. Disk Utility is located under Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility

Reply by pimentel on Aug 5, 2011 12:46 PM Helpful

well I have a 15' macbook Pro Thunderbolt built in serial reader plus the card is an SD xc 64 gigs 25mg per second high speed card..  it should do the job.    

I feel it has something to do with the card format?     

All replies

• elikness Level 4 Level 4

Does your computer have an SD card slot built-in? Some of the latpops and iMacs do have the card slot built in. If you have a built-in SD card slot you can format the card using Disk Utility as a native Mac OS Extended format. Then it will be recognized by as a usable storage area on your computer, and appear in the Projects Tab. Disk Utility is located under Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility

• pimentel Level 1 Level 1

well I have a 15' macbook Pro Thunderbolt built in serial reader plus the card is an SD xc 64 gigs 25mg per second high speed card..  it should do the job.    

I feel it has something to do with the card format?     

That's correct, I'm fairly certain if you format it as if it were a native style Mac HD, it will be recognized by the program and let you start using it.

I am thinking of trying it but I am a little hesitant to do it since those cards use a especial format with allows it to read/write at highter speeds..    I will try it later and find out!!!

It work!!!!!!!!!!   thanks.....  for the help

The reason iMovie makes you do this is the size of the video clips can be quite large. The PC formatted sd card might not be able to handle a single movie clip that's bigger than 4GB in size. Formatting it as a Mac OS Extended allows it to save HUGE files bigger than 4GB so you never run into trouble. Good Luck!