Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mdwrite wants to use the "metadata" keychain: what is this?

A couple of times a box has come up on my screen that says:

mdwrite wants to use the "metadata" keychain. please enter the keychain password.

So far, I have just pressed cancel.

Anyone got any ideas what this is? And what I should do? So far, I have just pressed cancel.

I have never encountered this pop-up box prior to Lion...

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 1:59 PM

18 replies

Aug 18, 2011 7:44 PM in response to ChairmanofTheBoards

I got the metadata window in the first week of purchasing my MacBook Air.

As I had never seen this window before (and I've been using Macs since 1991) I actually spoke on the telephone to Apple Care. The conversation went nowhere. He kept explaining to me what keychain is.

I wanted to know:

what mwrite was,

which, if any, application it was connected with,

if the "metadata keychain" was the same as the normal keychain,

if it was a bug in the new OS, and

whether I should enter my password or not.

I was advised to enter my password. But I was unable to get any answers in relation to any of my other questions...

Sep 21, 2011 5:22 PM in response to iLiangLiang

My Macbook Pro 17" (Mid 2010 i7 2.66G) has stopped doing this. The last 2 weeks or it hasn't happend at all. Fingers crossed, allthough I still want some sort of explanation. I also reported to Apple 3 weeks ago and so far no responce at all. I agree with MaximillionFV, Apple is behaving like Micro-plop, stop it at once Mr Cook ! Get thee to Phone Tech Support for a few days and listen to your customers.

Mdwrite wants to use the "metadata" keychain: what is this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.