Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

getting rid of the Evil Microsoft rdc connections folder

Just bought a lovely new imac but unfortunately Microsoft has followed me in the form of microsoft office 2011 and has bought along with it, its old invasive filing habits. and has been busy messing up my documents folder. I found a solution to getting rid of the Microsoft user data folder by moving it to user/library/preferences but the RDC connections folder keeps returning when I launch the remote desktop connection app. Is there anyway of moving this folder out of my documents too ?

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 6:29 PM

11 replies

Aug 5, 2011 6:50 PM in response to excelcius

I don't know how the latest version of Office stores its data, but I'd advise putting the Microsoft User Data folder back where Microsoft wants it to be, in the Documents folder. Then remove the abomination from your sight by opening the Terminal and typing in the following (but don't hit return yet):

chflags hidden

Make sure there's a space at the end, then drag the Microsoft User Data folder onto the Terminal window. Now hit return in the Terminal, and the folder should vanish. It's still there, just hidden. Do the same for any other folders Microsoft puts in inappropriate places.

Aug 5, 2011 7:18 PM in response to thomas_r.

It seems happy enough enough with where I've placed the user data folder, If I place it any where else it recreates it, but I follow what you say it might chuck a wobbler somewhere down the line. so I'll give that a go, I just wish Id seen the end of Microsoft's intrusive scattergun filing system, Maybe Apple could get a little stricter with these miscreants and insist that they steer clear of our user folders, its like having an unwanted house guest rearranging the furniture and putting up star trek folders everywhere lol 😉

Aug 7, 2011 12:13 PM in response to excelcius

The problem with that is that there are a LOT of hidden files that the average user should not even think about messing with. Yet nothing gets the curiosity going quite like a "Show HIdden Items" menu item, and from there all paths lead to trouble. It's best for the average user to not even know that there's anything hidden anywhere.

Aug 10, 2011 4:35 AM in response to thomas_r.

I hated windows messy scatter gun, wires hanging out approach to their OS but osx seems to also have a messy filing system with the exception that the wires seem to be kicked under the carpet, which still leaves me wondering and worrying what's going on behind the scenes.

if all the sensitive files were placed in a systems folder then people would know not to touch that folder but stuff like documents and pictures were theirs to do with as they wish. not how the OS or app developers wish, it is the users computer after all !

Jun 27, 2014 11:10 PM in response to excelcius

The command "chflags hidden <foldername>" just hides the folder from graphical interfaces. The folder will still be visible in terminal. In terminal if you type "ls" you will see all folders including hidden ones.

So to unhide execute the following command in terminal.

"chflags nohidden <foldername>"

Specific commands for this use case are:

To hide: "chflags hidden ~/Documents/RDC\ Connections/"

To un-hide: "chflags nohidden ~/Documents/RDC\ Connections/"

getting rid of the Evil Microsoft rdc connections folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.