9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2011 10:06 AM by HippopotamusMan
Fred Davenport Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The more I use OS X Lion the less I Like it.

When I re-boot/restart, I do NOT want all the software and files to re-open with the reboot. I REPEAT!!  I do NOT want all the software and files to re-open with the reboot.

Is there anyway to STOP this from happening....PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE I hope there is.

I think LION has gone way to far in making the techies happy, but the millions of "Normal" users, very, very confused and ticked off.

p.s. I have only 10 fingers and need 5-10 fingers more to STOP the constant expansion and weird action of the trackpad and Magic Mouse.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • Alex403 Level 2 Level 2 (245 points)

yeah when you press restart from the apple sign in the corner the box is checked if you want to "Reopen windows when logging back in". just uncheck the box.

• coocooforcocoapuffs Level 3 Level 3 (845 points)
    p.s. I have only 10 fingers and need 5-10 fingers more to STOP the constant expansion and weird action of the trackpad and Magic Mouse.

This can possibly be stopped by downloading and installing the free MagicPrefs app. Load it and see if with the default settings ur magic devices can be tamed.

• thomas_r. Level 7 Level 7 (30,095 points)

I do NOT want all the software and files to re-open with the reboot.

Alex has you covered there.  Note that Apple also recommends that you not shut down your computer unless you're going to be away from it for several days, since shut-down-restart cycles put more stress on the hardware than sleep.  Just put your machine to sleep.  The only times I ever restart are when I need to to apply an update or upgrade.

So turn off all the gestures, in System Preferences->Trackpad (and, I assume, System Preferences->Mouse...  not a mouse user, myself, though).  This is entirely under your own control.

• Fred Davenport Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Alex/Coco.

Thx much for the quick answers.

Just really ticked off that as a 30+ year user/supporter of Apple that they have made all these changes that have done nothing but annoy me and tick me off.

Why is it that it is my job to undo all the new and STUPID features, rather than me asking to use them.

The more I use OSX Lion, the more annoyed I get...

These features should be ones that I select! and not features I REJECT!

Thomas,

Thx much...why Oh why am I so ticked off at all these features, that I DO NOT want, and now I have to go look for the way to STOP these silly 15 finger features.

How about just making these features available if we want them, rather than making us use them with NO directions on how to use or delete them.

OS X Lion is a Bear to use.

• thomas_r. Level 7 Level 7 (30,095 points)

Why did you upgrade to Lion if you didn't want the features that it offers?

Thx T,

The trackpad feature is only one of the 250. It is sort of a pain in the butt when my screen starts doing all sorts of dancin, and when using a mouse, it is almost impossible to bring the screen back to normal.

My question is, "Is there a way to make the trackpad go back to normal, or at least make the trackpad, NOT dance so much and so fast"?

Thx Much

• Alex403 Level 2 Level 2 (245 points)

system preferences is your friend. you can control everything from there. EVERYTHING

• HippopotamusMan Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Alex403 wrote:

system preferences is your friend. you can control everything from there. EVERYTHING

This must be a strange, new definition of the word "EVERYTHING" that most of us aren't familiar with.

The following scenario illustrates one thing (of many) that you cannot control from System Preferences in Lion:

1. Open up three Terminal windows.

2. Un-check System Preferences->General->Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps.

3. Issue a Restart. Un-check the option Reopen windows when logging back in on the "Are you sure ..." dialog box.

4. After restart, log back in.

5. Open a single Terminal window.

Four Terminal windows will open: the one which you opened in Step 5, and the three that you opened in Step 1.

In other words, the un-checking of the System Preferences->General->Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps setting is ignored when shutting down and restarting, even when also un-checking Reopen windows when logging back in as part of the shutdown dialog.

The following ugly hack fixes this "feature" for Terminal. It might also work for other applications, but YMMV: https://discussions.apple.com/message/15860751#15860751