Skip navigation

How can I make new iCal events default to 1 hour long?

930 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2012 2:21 PM by Jalpuna RSS
Jalpuna Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 5, 2011 8:53 PM

Please help me love my iCal again.  How can I set it up so that the default for a new event is an hour long instead of EIGHT?!?  Why on earth does iCal think a new event should be eight hours long?  It's especially annoying at night.  Add a new event at 9PM and iCal sets an end for 5AM and rolls it into the next day, which means I have to change the end time and change the end date every time I add a new event.

Seriously, who designed this thing?  Here's a perfect example of bad design (which, coming from Apple is shocking!): In the menu, click New Event.  Does iCal create a new event?  No.  It draws a box arrow pointing to the big plus sign.  Are we sure Microsoft didn't design this thing?

I'm a diehard Mac Guy for over 17 years.  But I must say, I'm disappointed with some aspects of Lion.  Yikes.  (sorry...  I needed to vent!)

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7), I heart my Apogee Duet.
  • Colin Robinson Level 6 Level 6 (8,290 points)

There's something wrong with your iCal that I don't know how to fix because my New Events are always 1 hour long:

Screen Shot 2011-08-06 at 11.23.54.png

The bad design you refer to is this?

Screen Shot 2011-08-06 at 11.23.20.png

That is just allowing you to enter in plan English like 'Supper on Sunday at 6pm' which translates into the new event posted above.

Regards,

Colin R.

• guff.se Calculating status...

No answer to this still?

This is really annoying, to have to shorten _every_freaking_event_ to 1 hour after i create them.

• guff.se Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Are you sure it is like this for every Lion user?

It is not just a bug for a few people?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.