Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal won't let me the period over which an event will take place

I used to be able to enter a period over which an event would take place in iCal (desktop, not MobileMe) Since converting to Lion, this option is not available. There is no place to enter "from" and "to". Curiously, it is still possible to do so in iCal on MobileMe (via the web.), as it used to be on my desktop iCal (available via the dock). If anyone has any idea what's wrong, it would be appreciated.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 8:26 PM

5 replies

Aug 5, 2011 8:51 PM in response to Assignment

Assignment,

Try refreshing the iCal plist file. You will find the com.apple.iCal.plist file in your Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences Folder. To get to the Library folder use Finder>Go>Depress the "Option" Key and select LIbrary. Quit iCal, drag the .plist file to your Desktop. Then log out/in or restart.

User uploaded file

Aug 5, 2011 9:40 PM in response to Assignment

Thanks for taking the time to consider this, Ferd II.

I followed your suggestion to the letter with no solution. I still am unable to enter a From date and To date for events extending more than one day. When I check "all day" in the box that comes up on my desktop (Dock generated) iCal, the From and To will not accept any entry.Before Lion I was able to do this to show an extended event on the calendar.

Here's the thing, though: When I create or edit an event on my MobileMe calendar, the box that comes up looks entirely different from the one that I get on iCal that opens from the dock. And on the MobileMe version, I can enter all the information with no problem.

I suppose worst case, I can reinstall Calendar, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that since it was bundled in the OS.

I appreciate your considering this. Thanks.

Aug 5, 2011 9:51 PM in response to Assignment

Assignment,

the From and To will not accept any entry.Before Lion I was able to do this to show an extended event on the calendar.

That helps explain the problem you are experiencing.

This is what I see when I uncheck "all-day:"

User uploaded file

Since the plist procedure did not work, quit iCal, go to System Preferences>Language & Text>Formats>Region: and set/re-set the appropriate "Region." Then log out/in or restart.

User uploaded file

Aug 5, 2011 10:39 PM in response to Ferd II

Ferd II, you genius! It worked like a charm. I changed the region from the default Custom to Canada and iCal again works as it should.

But the bonus that came with your solutuion is even better.

Lion inexplicably changed every single file-modification date on my computer – including those on files I'd backed up on a hard drive.on backup drives – to January 5 2011. I spent days trying to figure out what was wrong. (An answer is still pending from Apple techs who were also unable to explain what happened.)

I was despairing of not being able to retrieve the orginal dates. Naturally, when I saw the dreaded January 5 2011 as the example in the system pref for Language and Text, I figured it was another instance of conversion.

But when I set the region to Canada, every one of the corrupted file dates, all those January 5 2011s, reverted to their proper modification dates! Amazing. The only one that didn't is the example/default in the Language and Text pref box.

I will let Apple's techies know that Ferd II solved the problem.

Thank you so much for your help and for sticking with the problem. I can now sync my iPhone without fear of infecting it.

iCal won't let me the period over which an event will take place

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.