Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion IP failover

Hi --

Is there a way to set up IP Failover in OS X Lion Server. I see instructions for previous server editions, but can't locate any for the Lion release. I tried to edit the hostconfig files like listed for previous releases and this did not work.

Thanks.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7), Lion Server

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 8:54 PM

11 replies

Dec 22, 2011 12:44 PM in response to nei0angei0

Fail over replacement software-My only option was to create a process made up of 3 scripts that fully simulate what heartbeatd and failoverd provided on the previous systems. They check for constant availability and monitor services. When issues are detected they try and repair the issue, then fail over if not successful. Right I am using this with Two servers that do not share the same file pool. They nightly sync so if a fail over occurs, the data is from the night before until we can bring the main server up and sync it.

Oct 3, 2013 7:09 PM in response to kevin209

What is everyone looking to monitor specifically for fail over? The ones I designed specifically were for a file share server. If either SMB or AFP was down, it would shut the server off and the back up server would then kick on its services and take the IP. If you had other things like a web server on the same box, it would go down also. There is a way to separate (where there is a will there is a way) but I would need to look into it.

So everyone, please tell me what your heart's desires are.

Thank you

Oct 4, 2013 6:11 AM in response to nei0angei0

If you made your scripts modular it should be possible to make it fit more configurations. First would be the need for a heartbeat monitor (and server). Then would be a script to take over the IP, and then would be a script to start (or restart) a service e.g. file-services (AFP and/or SMB), web, email, calendar.

The hearbeat monitor script could have lines calling scripts which would start specific service(s) and if you comment out or uncomment a line it would start the service.

For the benefit of everyone else, some services could be managed by a DNS loadbalancer and the use of VIPs (virtual IP addresses). However OpenDirectory and PasswordServer and DHCP would not be possible this way, so these services as used to be possible with Snow Leopard Server would need an IP-failover approach like discussed here.

Oct 13, 2013 12:48 PM in response to John Lockwood

Ok, I am almost done cleaning up the code and making it more universal. I had to go back to a few versions, right now it doesn't do heartbeat in the traditional sense (a daemon waiting for input on one server, and a daemon outputting data on another) rather it is just two different ping scripts with timeout thresholds that control the flow of actions. I am not sure what avenue I should use to share the code base. Any suggstions?

Lion IP failover

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.