Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5.1 Win 7 constantly logging me out of websites, WebKit2WebProcess.exe crashes

Finally updated to 5.1 last night, Safari now contantly logs me out of various webistes (gmail, facebook, youtube, google, hotmail, kotaku, ign, gamespot, and practicvally every website that requires log in). Also, some websites (facebook and gmail) keep telling me I have my accept cookies setting tuned off, when it's set on "only from sites I visit", had to set it to "always" before I can log in.

Also, every now and then something called "WebKit2WebProcess.exe" crashes, but it doesn't seem to effect browsing in general. But both of this problems never happened with 5.05, so I thought switching back to 5.05 should solve this.

And it doesn't, switched back to 5.05, then to 5.04 and back to 5.05 again today, only the "WebKit2WebProcess.exe" crashes stopped. Logging out bug now also happens with older versions of Safari. I tried clearing caches, cookies, and resetting Safari, nothing works.

Maybe a separate software essential to Safari thats updated with the 5.1 update, is causing the bug; and reverting back to 5.05 and 5.04 doesn't revert this buggy software? Perhaps its a software that has something to do with cookies?

I HAD TO TYPE THIS POST TWICE, BECAUSE BY THE TIME I FINISHED TYPING THE FIRST TIME AND CLICKED "POST MESSAGE", SAFARI HAD LOGGED ME OUT. WHEN I PRESSED "BACK", THE AUTOSAVE ONLY SAVED HALF OF THE FIRST PARAGRAPH!!! THIS BUG IS NOW DRIVING ME NUTS!!

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 11:42 PM

16 replies

Aug 6, 2011 4:53 AM in response to castleperry

I was abrubtly logged out also while replying Friday mid afternoon.

I assume it is the Apple servers. I was using IE9 and Firefox 5.x at the time.

I kept hitting Reply and getting "there was an error, try again" of all things.

Only after retrying twice did I look at the top, why it didn't say "you are no longer logged in" which would have been nice and correct, rather than as if there was a bad url or some other cause.

Chalk it up to Apple Community servers. Use to be I could be logged in on multiple computers and multiple browsers all concurrently - running Mac OS, Windows, with a couple PCs thrown in. Not anymore. Seems like one machine and one browser at a time. And being logged out, timeout otherwise.

Aug 6, 2011 11:22 AM in response to The hatter

No, my problem's different. After the 5.1 update, Safari now logs me out from websites after several minutes, even if I checked "keep me logged in" on all websites. I'm talking google, gmail, hotmail, facebook, youtube, everything.

The problem is widespread, a lot of people on this forum also suffer from this bug after the updating to 5.1. And it's not just the Windows version, the OSX verson is also affected.

Reverting back to older versions of Safari doesn't solve the problem (I reverted to 5.05 and 5.04), somehow the part thats causing the bug is not reverted to the working older version.

It's driving me nuts, having to constantly re-log in every several minutes to check emails, youtube subscriptions, etc. The worst is google, I had personalized google search to view 40 search results per page, instant search off. These settings only works if I'm logged in. Now, Everytime Safari logs me out of google, it reverts to default search setting (10 results per page, instant search on).

Aug 6, 2011 11:50 AM in response to castleperry

I did not understand this new "feature" to be carried to many/most other web sites. I didn't use many but the few I do/did were not web mail or other such and zero on any social networking oriented.

As for how to downgrade, Apple installs a set of "common" components that are shared by any and all of Apple's software programs. Feels like it takes over my system what with iTunes and others having their own libraries and framework.

There are installers and files located in:

C:\ProgramData\Apple

C:\Program Files\iTunes and \ipod

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support

C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes

C:\Program Files (x86)\Apple Software Update

Delete those while you uninstall programs.

Set a restore point, then install what you need and want, and uninstall what gets installed you don't, some are installed by default with no options but can be removed, depending on any Apple iDevice you need to use and connect with.

That should help. (In fact I have a persistent issue with Firefox now that I want to test doing the above on one of my "spare" work mules for testing purposes. ) Time to take a volume snapshot and clone the drive for safe keeping.

IE9 continues for me to work superb and unaffected (Tues has IE9 patches for Windows 7).

Aug 6, 2011 12:42 PM in response to The hatter

My system and firefox run 10x better now w/o Apple's software - I left iTunes 10.4 and will need the latest QuickTime update probably, but the rest won't touch Windows again.

Too many changes in a short period, I thought it was Firefox 8, or an update to Kaspersky, or to MSSE, you know the drill.

And you begin to think some malware-trojan-logger has gotten past all the gatekeepers.

And after removing Safari, the common support folder, Apple Update, etc my system feels like I have another 1GHz from my cpu and 3 SSDs. For weeks now Firefox would just seem to beachball, act like it had plug-in/extension anemia and thought might actually need to reinstall after two years on Windows 7.

Incredible.

Aug 6, 2011 11:18 PM in response to The hatter

You're saying deleting these folders below and reinstalling Safari should solve my problems?

C:\ProgramData\Apple

C:\Program Files\iTunes and \ipod

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support

C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes

C:\Program Files (x86)\Apple Software Update

So the bug is caused by shared components inside one of these folders?

Before I do delte them, I gotta ask if this is a safe thing to do? Will reinstalling Safari 5.05 restore these components? Some folders are for iTunes, do I need to reinstall iTunes as well?

Aug 7, 2011 9:54 AM in response to castleperry

Make sure after running Programs: Uninstall that those directories are cleared, you should not need to do so manually.

You do know your OS don't you?

And I repeat my recommendation to invest in free or commercial (and test it too) with "clone OS" of your choice for backups.

You're fine. Apple installed all that and can be uninstalled, and reinstalled.

But.... I was also this would allow you to reinstall, and install an older version. Otherwise the older version will not "downgrade" or touch a newer application support library, not usually, and not in fruitville.

I left iTunes - I said that in the post you are replying to.

I have not, and will not, bother with Safari again, ever. It looks nice, and easy to read which I like, but I spent too much time - they should tell customers or have a real public beta and have an extra million people kick the tires for a month or two first.

Safari also behaves different on the Community Forums in ways that IE9 and Firefox do not, but not enough to pull me over, which was my main reason, and that 5.1 was a major security update, as is the latest QuickTime version for Windows.

They should install and function better if you start from a clean slate (start from scratch), same as how things work and feel after a clean install - which is true of any platform or OS.

Trouble installing Apple iTunes or QT Windows

Removing software components Windows

Oct 29, 2011 8:03 AM in response to castleperry

Here's the deal:

I would like to use Safari, iTunes, etc and not get the error. Removing all my Apple software and reinstalling it causes the error to return. I am looking for a support response that helps me understand:

(a) Does Apple have an update to Safari that addresses error handling for the exception caused by this process? I have the most recent version of the software.

(b) What application generates the WebKit2WebProcess.exe process?

Thank you

Message was edited by: 234w20982340z3

Nov 27, 2011 11:28 AM in response to in2ruffinit

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features, and uninstall Apple Application Support, Safari and iTunes.

Install previous versions of Safari, below version 5.1, try 5.05 or 5.04, also iTunes.

DO NOT UPDATE SAFARI TO 5.1 or 5.1.1, NOR ITUNES TO ITS LATEST VERSION, THIS WILL UPDATE THE APPLE APPLICATION SUPPORT, CAUSING THE BUGS ALL OVER AGAIN.

Safari 5.1 Win 7 constantly logging me out of websites, WebKit2WebProcess.exe crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.