Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Connectivity

Any update on the MBP issue of dropping wireless internet connectivity from time to time? I am using a Linksys router and I have to reboot it a few times a day to keep connected. I am assuming it is a MBP or Lion issue since my wireless printer stays connected flawlessly. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 3:12 AM

17 replies

Aug 6, 2011 3:33 AM in response to DrBobP

Hi D,

I don't know what you've read or tried, but I'd try turning off IPv6 first:

IPv6 troubleshooting http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3802

Open System Preferences > Network> select AirPort > click on Advanced > TCP/IP > Configure IPv6 >Off > OK > Apply > Turn AirPort Off > Turn AirPort On

Open System Preferences > Network> select Ethernet > click on Advanced > TCP/IP > Configure IPv6> Off > OK > Apply

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/11395.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1714

And I don't know which browser/s you use, but since turned off IPv6 and gave Safari a good swift kick out the door, and use Firefox exclusively, I haven't had those annoying drops with the modem glaring red at me.

Aug 7, 2011 2:58 AM in response to tjk

When I signed on this morning I had to reboot the router to get connected. Someone suggested disabling the security WPA key and changing the name of the network from time to time. I am using a Linksys G 2.4 router if that makes any difference. It seems to be better, but not perfect with disabled IPV. Regards.

Aug 7, 2011 8:43 AM in response to DrBobP

DrBobP wrote:

When I signed on this morning I had to reboot the router to get connected. Someone suggested disabling the security WPA key and changing the name of the network from time to time. I am using a Linksys G 2.4 router if that makes any difference. It seems to be better, but not perfect with disabled IPV. Regards.

Thanks D.

Having to reboot router once doesn't surprise me. Before adding a bunch of other variables, why not try it for a day or two the way it is?

At some point, I suggest also checking with Linksys to see if there are updates for their router.

Aug 7, 2011 8:13 PM in response to DrBobP

DrBobP wrote:

What about trying a different channel on the router? It is currently on Channel 6 which is about mid-range. Maybe there is some other device that is interfering?? What do you think?

So the issue persists? Arrrggghhhh! Yes, I think trying a different channel is a good idea. And yes, there are lots of causes of potential interference, including microwave ovens. I have so many wireless devices going here, I'm surprise any of them work. I have used some that had to go because of interference, some overpowered AP, sometimes AP overpowered others, and sometimes two or more of them pretty much cancelled each other out and neither worked.

Internet Connectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.