Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After disk repair "updating boot support partitions for the volume as required

After working for ever to restore the my hard drive, I've run repair and received the following: the volume Macintosh HD was repaired successfully volume repair complete AND Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required. My question, updating is a gerund ... It means the repair program is in the process of updating ... As required. So, when is it finished? Is there another informative bit of info on its way? Will it say updating is now complete? Updating is successful? So far the information regarding updating has been there for an hour.

Thx

Barb

imac, Mac OS X (10.5.7), IMAC, 4 gigs memory

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 7:10 AM

Hello Barb:

My English usage is fairly decent, but I think a "gerund" is too far back in the past for me. 😉

In any event, although Apple's usage might be flawed, you may rest assured that when you saw that message, the program had completed its repair.

Barry

6 replies

Aug 6, 2011 4:09 PM in response to bfmcmillen

Barb, I've just repaired my iMac hard drive by booting up with the Snow Leopard installation DVD and using Disk Utility. I was having the same problem as you. After waiting about an hour for the "Updating..." message to go away, I decided to shut down DU. I clicked on "Quit Disk Utility." At that point the "Install" screen reappeared. I bypassed the language screen, then clicked on "Quit OSX Installer" (this may have been worded slightly differently). Then I got a window asking me which drive I wanted to boot from, and I chose "Macintosh HD". The computer then rebooted as usual and I ejected the DVD. Everything is working fine now.

I agree with you that the message is very confusing, because it seems to mean that something is actually happening, and I was afraid that if I interrupted it, I might cause some damage. Apparently it didn't. I just ran "Verify Disk" again and got the same lovely green message saying that the repair was successful.

Incidentally, I like "gerund" and I'm old enough to know what one is :-)

Good luck.

Aug 7, 2011 4:50 AM in response to Patita1

I woke up last night thinking that as gerunds go 🙂 'updating' in this case isn't one. It's the present tense of the infinitive to update? If it were a true gerund, the word would be operating as a noun. Noun form: Updating is a really tedious process. Verb form: I am updating the books as we speak.

Apologies. And, installation went well. Updating files as required 🙂

Barb

After disk repair "updating boot support partitions for the volume as required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.