Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight "Name Only" removed?

I just noticed when doing a Spotlight search that the buttons for toggling the search by content or name only have been removed. This is a deal breaker for me at work when I am searching for specific file names and don't want a million other results. Any way to get this back?

I know you can type Name: in the search field too but the other way is way more convenient if you need to flip back and forth.

Mac Mini (2009) 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 4GB RAM, 320 GB Drive, 20" Cinema Display, MiniStack & more…

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 1:18 PM

I've been fiddling with this a little bit, and have concluded that it is all simply messed up. You are supposed to be able to start typing in the Search box, and you can then get a drop-down menu of "tokens"--at the moment there are two, Filename or Everything. From the microscopic triangle in the darker blue part you can switch back and forth between the two:

User uploaded file

There are several things about this that just don't work right. You must type something before you can select one or the other, and you cannot add to what you started typing when you made your selection, but you can evidently then start typing over again--thus the "g" in the light blue part, followed by "gera" in the still active part of the Search box. So in the above I typed "g" then selected Filename, then started adding more with "gera" to begin narrowing the results--but I still got some items that just don't belong, they are evidently left-over from the plain "g" entry, although MOST plain "g" things don't show up. Just some. If I subsequently add another letter, so that I have "geran" then everything that shows up has all those letters in the file name, and "gallery.jp" and "Genesis.txt" disappear from the results. It just all seems a bit bizarre to me.

Francine

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2011 1:18 PM in response to Jeremy Bohn

I've been fiddling with this a little bit, and have concluded that it is all simply messed up. You are supposed to be able to start typing in the Search box, and you can then get a drop-down menu of "tokens"--at the moment there are two, Filename or Everything. From the microscopic triangle in the darker blue part you can switch back and forth between the two:

User uploaded file

There are several things about this that just don't work right. You must type something before you can select one or the other, and you cannot add to what you started typing when you made your selection, but you can evidently then start typing over again--thus the "g" in the light blue part, followed by "gera" in the still active part of the Search box. So in the above I typed "g" then selected Filename, then started adding more with "gera" to begin narrowing the results--but I still got some items that just don't belong, they are evidently left-over from the plain "g" entry, although MOST plain "g" things don't show up. Just some. If I subsequently add another letter, so that I have "geran" then everything that shows up has all those letters in the file name, and "gallery.jp" and "Genesis.txt" disappear from the results. It just all seems a bit bizarre to me.

Francine

Aug 7, 2011 10:17 AM in response to Jeremy Bohn

Another thing which doesn't seem to work in Lion is the fact that the dropdown mentioned above never appears in the Spotlight search box in the menu bar. It only shows up when doing a search from a Finder window.

Unless there is a way to configure Spotlight to give us that dropdown in the menu bar (there is no way to do this in Spotlight Preferences), I'm going to report this as a bug to Apple.

Nov 23, 2011 12:33 PM in response to Jeremy Bohn

I use the Command-F form of search (Find in Finder's File menu).

The window it opens includes some pulldown menus -

User uploaded file

which can be used to apply restrictions to the search. The second pulldown menu changes to reflect criteria applicable to the setting in the first.

Additional sets/pairs of pulldown menus can be added by clicking the + sign at the right end of that row. These can be used to further refine the criteria.

If the items available in the first pulldown menu are insufficient, select the item "Other..." in the menu. A long list of additional criteria will be presented - checkmark the ones you want added to the menu. For example, I added the item "System files" so the search could include system-level items.

Spotlight "Name Only" removed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.