Previous 1 2 Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2012 5:48 AM by ironsightdesign
plgodin Level 1 (0 points)

The title prety much says it all.

 

If I manually put it to sleep, I can then close the lid and it will keep sleeping, and will wake up when I reopen the lid.

But if I then just close the lid, nothing happens. I can see the screen turns off (apple gets dark) and the power light turns and stays on. If I reopen the lid, the screen briefly turns on, then turns back off, and power light starts blinking. The computer wakes up if I close the lid again.

 

Using Lion, but it didn't do that before.


MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • tjk Level 7 (24,220 points)

    Hi p,

     

    Try an SMC Reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964        

  • plgodin Level 1 (0 points)

    Not sure I did it correctly because nothing seemed to happen (mac plugged in, turned off, left-shift + left-ctrl + left-option + power at the same time, release, boot).

     

    Anyways, still have the problem. I found an old thread where people had the same problem and solved it by removing the firewire extensions; tried it, no success.

  • plgodin Level 1 (0 points)

    Actually, I'm not sure putting the computer to sleep manually works at all, the screen turns off and the power light turns and stays on, even when I close the lid. But at least the computer wakes again if I reopen the lid.

  • tjk Level 7 (24,220 points)

    plgodin wrote:

     

    Not sure I did it correctly because nothing seemed to happen (mac plugged in, turned off, left-shift + left-ctrl + left-option + power at the same time, release, boot).

     

    Depends which MBP you have. As noted for non-removable battery types, there may be no indication.

  • tjk Level 7 (24,220 points)

    plgodin wrote:

     

    power light turns and stays on

     

    Which light are you referring to?

  • plgodin Level 1 (0 points)

    The one next to the IR sensor (which is, if I'm not mistaken, normally off when mac is either shut down or active, on when active but screen is off or lid is shut and blinking when sleeping)

  • tjk Level 7 (24,220 points)

    plgodin wrote:

     

    The one next to the IR sensor (which is, if I'm not mistaken, normally off when mac is either shut down or active, on when active but screen is off or lid is shut and blinking when sleeping)

     

    Ok, wanted to make sure. That's the sleep light/indicator.

  • tjk Level 7 (24,220 points)

    tjk wrote:

     

    plgodin wrote:

     

    Not sure I did it correctly because nothing seemed to happen (mac plugged in, turned off, left-shift + left-ctrl + left-option + power at the same time, release, boot).

     

    Depends which MBP you have. As noted for non-removable battery types, there may be no indication.

     

    So, want to share which MBP you have?

  • plgodin Level 1 (0 points)

    I have a non-removable battery MBP early-2011. The page also said the light on the MagSafe adapter might blink; it didn't...

  • tjk Level 7 (24,220 points)

    plgodin wrote:

     

    I have a non-removable battery MBP early-2011. The page also said the light on the MagSafe adapter might blink; it didn't...

     

    Yeah, that could be a little clearer. It might or it might not. Either way, it doesn't really tell you anything.

  • plgodin Level 1 (0 points)

    Any other ideas then? If you need more info, I'll do my best...

  • tjk Level 7 (24,220 points)

    Here's a link for troubleshooting sleep, but it hasn't been updated since Lion came out, so not sure how useful it will be. Still, I'd try everything it lists.

     

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1776?viewlocale=en_US

  • tjk Level 7 (24,220 points)

    plgodin wrote:

     

    Any other ideas then? If you need more info, I'll do my best...

     

    Not sure if you saw this, we posted at the same time:

     

    Here's a link for troubleshooting sleep, but it hasn't been updated since Lion came out, so not sure how useful it will be. Still, I'd try everything it lists.

     

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1776?viewlocale=en_US

     

    Also, you posted in the correct forum here, but you might also want to try the Lion forum:

    Lion forum: https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/mac_os_x_v10.7_lion

     

    Here's an old fix for sleep issues from 10.5. I doubt it would help in 10.7, but who knows?

     

    -Open System Preferences.

    -Open Network.

    -Clickon Built-in Ethernet (note what it says underneath it: Not Connected or Inactive)

    -Click the - button at the bottom of the window.

    -Click Apply.

    -Click the + button.

    -For Interface, select Ethernet.

    -For Service Name, enter Built-in Ethernet.

    -Click on Create.

    -Make sure your Location is set to Automatic or AirPort (or whatever you normally have it set to).

    -Click on Apply and close Preferences.

  • BenjiNY Level 1 (0 points)

    I've been having a similar problem.  Sometimes when I close the lid, it wakes up, and when I open the lid it goes to sleep.  This has only started since I installed Lion

Previous 1 2 Next