Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Albums with 'various artists'

When viewing albums via the iPod on the iPad I get a seperate icon for each artist. So, for example, with the album 'Hits of 1984' the tracks 'Track one, Artist A' and 'Track 2, Artist B' etc. get seperate icons rather than one icon for the album 'Hits of 1984'. Can anyone suggest how I can get one icon for the album which I can then open to show all tracks?

I've tried various things in iTunes on my computer, such as adjusting the 'Sort by...' field to all be the same but... no joy.

Thanks

JfF

MobileMe

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 5:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 5:25 AM

On the tracks in iTunes I've got 'part of a compilation' ticked/on for the tracks for my various artists albums - it's on the Info tab in Get Info on a single track, and the Options tab if selecting multiple tracks

4 replies

Aug 7, 2011 6:29 AM in response to JimFromFarnham

Generally all you need to do is fill in an appropriate Album Artist. For more details see my article on Grouping Tracks Into Albums, in particular the topic One album, too many covers.

That said, under the current iOS firmware a compilation album will still be listed multiple times in the Artist view, once for each Artist rather than once for each Album Artist which would be my preference.

tt2

Aug 7, 2011 10:36 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thanks for the replies (all of you). I've tried the suggestion of ticking the 'part of a compilation' box and it's worked on some albums but not others. A the moment I can't see any difference between them but I'll look further when I have more time.

Slight adjustment to my initial email... I'm looking at my music via network... the music is not o my iPad.

Thanks again

JfF

Albums with 'various artists'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.