Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion iCal Fullscreen tend to "freeze", non-responsive

Hello all,

Since moving to Lion, one of the apps I find useful in fullscreen mode is iCal, so I set it to:

• Launch at Startup (and hide) the app
  • In fullscreen mode

So whenever I need to refer to my iCal, I just swipe using my mouse (gestures) to reveal iCal.

This is "not really biggy", but I notice a few times when I switch to iCal, it tends to "freeze" and non-responsive. Just just now, I tried to search something and tried to type something in the search field, no response, no cursor, have to quit and launch again.

The other time I think I was trying to create a new cal event or modify one, same issue.

Anyone has the same issue/problem?

Thanks.

iMac 27"-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7), iPhone 4 32Gb | iPad 2 64Gb 3G WiFi

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 9:46 AM

8 replies

Aug 28, 2011 2:36 PM in response to howwow

Almost the same issue here, just not full screen mode. I think the problem is related to hiding: I launch iCal, everything seems fine, I hide it, and when I try to unhide it later, it won't reappear. It's in the Dock, I can left-click it (no response); right click it and bring up a contextual menu; switch to it via Cmd+Tab, but nothing brings it back.

If I right click and choose "show all windows", ther don't appear to be any to show!

if I bring up the Force Quit Applications window, iCal is not on the list.

If I quit and relaunch iCal, it seems to work OK, as I mentioned before. I just tried it again, then hid it and tried to unhide it - it worked the first time. Then I try it again, and iCal does its new "gray spinning and reloading shared calendars" routine, then stops responding as above.

The new iCal does indeed seem to be very buggy!

Oct 10, 2011 9:43 AM in response to howwow

I just upgraded from SnowLeopard and I have the same problem too. It freeze as it starts. I had just the opportunity to set three new appointments and then no response. And when I restart, it starts quickly but I cannot operate for more than 10 seconds. It freeze also if I immediately start the iCal Preferences.

I hope for a quick update!

Carmine

Oct 10, 2011 10:53 AM in response to areasas

Dears all,

I just checked that sometime it goes back to be responsive but I am not sure which is the trigger to have it working again.

I just checked that, when it is freezed, in the Activity Monitor at pane "Port and Document open", the list is empty. So, I tried to catch it at the starting and I got the following list:

/

/Applications/iCal.app/Contents/MacOS/iCal

/usr/share/icu/icudt46l.dat

/System/Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/LocalSource.sourcebundle/Contents/MacOS/LocalSource

/Applications/iCal.app/Contents/Resources/ListViewDateCell.nib

/Applications/iCal.app/Contents/Resources/ListViewOccurrenceCell.nib

/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/sRGB Profile.icc

/System/Library/Fonts/LucidaGrande.ttc

/System/Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/DirectoryServices.sourcebundle/Contents/MacOS/DirectoryServices

/System/Library/Fonts/HelveticaNeue.dfont

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.fram ework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SArtFile .bin

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ArtFile. bin

/System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.dfont

/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle/Contents/Resources/AppleKeyboardLayouts-L.d at

/private/var/folders/rq/2whdkrnc8xl94h006s6kj31r0000gn/C/com.apple.LaunchService s-034501.csstore

/usr/lib/dyld

/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_x86_64

/dev/null

->0xffffff801163ebd0

->0xffffff801163ebd0

count=1, state=0x2

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.fram ework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc

/Users/admin/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iCal.plist.lockfile

/Users/admin/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.iCal.savedState/data.data

/Users/admin/Library/Calendars/Calendar Cache

/private/var/folders/rq/2whdkrnc8xl94h006s6kj31r0000gn/C/mds/mdsDirectory.db

/Users/admin/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/AddressBook-v22.abcddb

I hope it may be helpful.

Best wishes,

Carmine

Lion iCal Fullscreen tend to "freeze", non-responsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.