Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AT&T Smart Limits - beware.

One thing to know if you use, or plan to use AT&T's Smart Limits to clamp data usage on the iPhone is that the "Web Browsing" limit means just *web browsing*. I called them when one of my devices sailed through the "limit" I set. AT&T support told me that while this "sounds weird" they have no way of limiting the data usage of the device beyond bowser usage.

Activities like following links from texts, or moving data via apps will still be allowed and will accumulate the devices's data total for the billing period. After tracing the times of data use and the direction it went it looks like the Facebook app was most responsible for putting my kid through his data allotment.

While they were quick to point out, repeatedly, that WI-FI is not counted - this service is a false sense of security for this function. In the long run it would be best to teach whomever the user is to monitor their usage and manually turn it off when they are approaching the limit - or just got to he next higher data plan.

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 12:58 PM

2 replies

Aug 7, 2011 4:56 PM in response to Tom Macie

The point of my post was if you buy the plan to "limit" usage, and set your kid's limit to 200MB, it will not stop their data usage at 200 MB, only the browsing portion of the device's data useage will be limited. So, since AT&T bills buy raw data, one would think that the limits they set would coincide with this.

How can I make this clearer to you?

AT&T Smart Limits - beware.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.