Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set poster frame not an option in View menu

Do you need QuickTime Pro just to be able to set a poster frame for a particular .MOV file? I have read on the internet that other people find this option in the View menu, but it doesn't show up for me. I have Lion installed.

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 3:51 PM

5 replies

Jul 2, 2013 2:10 PM in response to flyingturtlesquid

I have an amazingly simple solution that worked for me:

Open the video in quicktime and press cmd+c on the frame of your choice. Then right click the video file in he finder and choose "Get Info" press cmd+v and the poster frame will be fixed.

I do not have Quicktime Pro, so this will work on hopefully any version of Quicktime.

It appears that different people have different definitions of a "Poster Frame." This gentleman is referring to the icon image displayed at the Finder level rather than a true "Poster Frame" as can be designated by QT 7 Pro, iWeb, or iTunes apps. The icon display to which he is referring can be created by either by pasting a copied frame to the "Info" window as described above or by dragging and dropping an image file (of compatible dimensions and format) directly to the "Info" widow icon area.

As to the creation of a designated "Poster Frame," if you do not have QT 7 Pro or no longer use iWeb, then your can create a "Poster Frame" using iTunes. Simply open the file in the iTunes player, locate the frame you want designated as the "Poster Frame," control-click the player window to open the context menu, and select the "Set Poster Frame" option. If the video does not already have a "Cover Art" image associated with it, the designated poster frame will be used as the cover art image but not adopted as the file icon image. If the file already has an external image associated with it as cover art, then the cover art image is used for both the cover art and the file icon image but the "Poster Frame" will still be recognized by applications that recognize/use this designation.

User uploaded file

Set poster frame not an option in View menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.