1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2013 3:49 AM by Graeme Armitage1
djianp Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My Magic Trackpad seems to make Lion crash on my new MacBook Air [i7]. Twice when I tried to connect my Magic Trackpad, I got a "You need to restart your computer screen", then turned off the bluebooth on my MacBook Air and everything went back to normal.

Has anyone had the same problem?

Thanks!

Pierre

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • 1. Re: Magic Trackpad makes Lion crash
    grrrrreg Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same issue here.

Started weirdly:

1- trackpad behaving erratically and loosing gestures

2- tried disconnect / reconnect: wouldn't do anything

3- de-paired it, re-paired it: got the crash screen

That's the 3rd time in a row now. I cannot use my i5 laptop with it now.

• 2. Re: Magic Trackpad makes Lion crash
    djianp Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The issue seem to have been resolved for me with the MacOS 10.7.1 update

• 3. Re: Magic Trackpad makes Lion crash
    Tillemann Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

It is Not solved. After I Updated to 10.7.1 the Problem started. Cant use my iMac currently everytime it Starts it crushes when trying to connect to the Magic trackpad, restarts and crushes again

• 4. Re: Magic Trackpad makes Lion crash
    danipan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Got the same problem with my trackpad. my macbookpro crashed 3 times while my trackpad was trying to connect.

Just removed the trackpad and everything seems to be fine right now.

• 5. Re: Magic Trackpad makes Lion crash
    NYC_Stephen Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having the same problem with my iMac and Lion.  I recently bought a magic trackpad, I have been having occasional crashes since.  All hardware tests pass, disk check is clean.  I finally took the batteries out of the trackpad last night, hopefully that helps.

• 6. Re: Magic Trackpad makes Lion crash
    givemeabrake Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

@NYC_Stephen

Hi,

What type of crash do you have?

1-A sudden (black) screen machine turned off

or

2-The dimmed screen with the "restar" message in the center?

Thank you,

• 7. Re: Magic Trackpad makes Lion crash

@givemeabrake,

The latter - dimmed screen with restart message.

Spoke with AppleCare.  They had me remove the bluetooth setup for the trackpad and add it back, as well as remove a file or two.  Seems to have helped.  I am able to use the trackpad and have not had a crash since making the changes.

Thanks...

• 8. Re: Magic Trackpad makes Lion crash

Thank you very much NYC-Stephen,

Could you share with us  exactly what you did?

How did you remove the BT setup and which files did you remove?

Thank you,

• 9. Re: Magic Trackpad makes Lion crash

I wish I could remember the files!  I found com.apple.Bluetooth.plist and com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.lockfile in my trash, was most likely those.

For the bluetooth settings I went to the bluetooth preference panel, highlighted the trackpad and clicked the "minus" sign to remove it.  Thankfully I still have a mouse so I was able to navigate after that.  Once the setup was removed I turned the trackpad to discoverable by pressing the button, after a minute or so the iMac discovered it and I was able to add it back to the bluetooth pairings.

I think it was in that order - delete files, delete pairing, repair.

I hope that works for others. 

• 10. Re: Magic Trackpad makes Lion crash

Thank you so much NYC_,

Tha sounds good to me.

I'll do as discribe.

It either works or doesn't, it will help me, because it will be an aproach by process of elimination.

Cheers,

• 11. Re: Magic Trackpad makes Lion crash
    jamgood Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

This is still an issue for me in 10.7.2 - I have a Magic Trackpad and MacBook Pro. The trackpad appeared to be the cause of a number of freezes and crashes over the last couple of months (since installing Lion? Not sure as I bought the Trackpad in anticipation of Lion only weeks before). I didn't believe it at first but then a series of crashes convinced me. I just deleted the trackpad from the bluetooth preferences and set it up. As soon as it recognised the trackpad my macbook immediately crashed. I am running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74). Could it be the Trackpad? Anyone have any ideas?

• 12. Re: Magic Trackpad makes Lion crash
    jamgood Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

p.s. it is an intermittent issue. I'd be keen to know if the original poster has experienced the issue again.

• 13. Re: Magic Trackpad makes Lion crash
    SWT Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having the same issue all of a sudden.  I am using an iMac and OSX 10.7.2

I have been resorting to unpairing my trackpad at night and then re-pairing in in the mornings.  Have you had any luck in resolving this issue?  I can't find the files that NYC Stephen mentioned either.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

• 14. Re: Magic Trackpad makes Lion crash
    cmad88 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I too am having the same issue. I got the trackpad on boxing day and today was the first time it crapped out like this.

I'm running an early 2008 MBP with 10.7.2. Any feedback would be great

1 2 Previous Next