Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying in OS X Lion 10.7

Hello,

I'm having problems when try to copy multiple files from one location to another that contains some of the files I want to copy. Here si an Example,

If I have 345 files on a folder A and have 412 files in Folder B , in this case I have 87 files that are the same ones in both folders, when I try to copy in OS X 10.6 and below (even OS 9!!) the finder shows a copy warning dialog box with this options "apply to all check box, Don't Replace or Skip and Replace Buttons" but in OS X Lion I have no "Skip nor Don't Replace" Buttons, instead I have a "Keep Both Files" Button and I can't syncronize my files, so I must check file to file to know wich ones are already there, this is important backwards in usabilty because you don't want to replace newer files with old ones just because their name is the same.

Do anyone knows how to solve this? Is there a modify key to get the "Don't Replace" button back in the copy dialog box?

Thanks a lot!

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 10:35 PM

22 replies

Aug 8, 2011 1:27 PM in response to bto_r

I just encountered this same thing. I am a photographer and after a shoot I double check all of my CF cards that were downloaded by my assistant. The best way for me to do this is just the old stand-by of selecting all of the images off of the card and dragging them into the shoot folder. If they are all there, I just hit the "don't replace" button and move on to the next card. Not having this very simple procedure that I have been doing for over 10 years is a real bummer.

Aug 18, 2011 7:45 PM in response to bto_r

I too am having problems when trying to copy multiple files from one location to another that contains some of the files I want to copy. I take tons of photos and I too used the Skip/Don't Replace button on the copy dialog box to ensure that I didn't miss any photos (and that I don't have duplicates in my hard drive).

Is there a way to get back the "Skip"/"Don't Replace" or "Skip All"/"Don't Replace All" buttons in the copy dialog box?

Sep 5, 2011 9:06 PM in response to bto_r

This really does need to be brought back. The skip + apply to all feature was an integral part of backing up many large image files from multiple CF cards and other sources. Now I'm either wasting hard drive space or wasting time waiting for unnecessary duplicates to be written.

I like Lion in almost every other respect but this one simple thing makes me want to go back to 10.6.

Oct 1, 2011 6:49 AM in response to bto_r

I found the standard "Don't Replace" feature works in the third party app 'Path Finder'. It costs more than Lion though which is a bit steep if this is the only feature you need from it, but I'm not sure if I can live without it. Like others here, I use the Don't Replace feature heaps, especially when copying from CF cards (so I can easily check what has been copied already). The "keep both" option in Lion is terrible.

Oct 11, 2011 9:12 PM in response to bto_r

I just encountered this tonight. Why on earth isn't this more of an issue for more people?

I sat down tonight to do some serious work archiving media files off various cameras and other sources- some files are already copied, others aren't.

This stupid change makes it absolutely impossible for me to do this task- I can't just mass-replace files that are already on my drives, many of them I've retouched with Photoshop. I don't have the drive space to spare for so many duplicates. Rather than the task of copying over 100's of files in a matter of mere seconds- only the non duplicates- I'd have to spend hours going through them.

I litterally have to switch back to Snow Leopard to get the job done. This was a really dumb change on Apple's part. I'm going to guess the same minds that though of this change, were amoung the same people that dumbed down Final Cut. Apple: PLEASE stop letting people that don't actually use computers to get any actual work done, make sweeping design changes to things that the rest of us use to get work done.

Very frustrated.

Oct 22, 2011 3:36 PM in response to Zaap

This is asinine. "Don't Replace" has been a part of workflows since the inception of the Finder.

Whomever at Apple thought this was a good idea to ditch it should be Fired. "Don't Replace", Don't Replace. Its fundamental to file management.

How often does one really want to keep two exact files with the same modifaction date?

Lion is unusable in Graphics, Web, Video production or any large file workflow because of this beyond-stupid decision. Even home users copying photos or music will be SOL.

"Merge Files" should be an option to Don't Replace. If apple really would listen, we needed Folder Syncing.

Merge Files isn't even the right terminology. Its not merging them.

How does one copy just the latest files back up or portable drive? Don't tell me to use the terminal. That is not the point.

This is a show stopper.

Oct 24, 2011 1:11 AM in response to bruised_blood

Hehe... I suggested a 'skip' under the option key through Apple's feedback system. This is fantastic news. Thanks for pointing this out. I read the list of enhanced features in the software update dialog, and was disappointed that it wasn't mentioned as a fixed issue'... But apparently they did change something. Im going to install the update right away :-)

Thanks!

Copying in OS X Lion 10.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.