Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal crashing on Lion (have checked other threads)

HI Everyone

I have just upgraded to Lion, and most things are ok. But iCal just keeps crashing and I cant get it to work. I've read other threads and have tried re-installing the app, deleting the old cache files, and loggin in as a new user to see if it's user-related or universal (it doesn't launch under any user)

The crash report says this: - can anyone suggest what i need to do?

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

objc[1330]: garbage collection is OFF

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: 'NSConcreteMutableAttributedString addAttribute:value:range:: nil value'

*** First throw call stack:

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 3:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 7:13 AM

SouthMartin,

Since this happens on all users you will have to download and reinstall Lion.

OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery has detailed instructions. Use the Install OS X Lion section:

"If you completed your installation of OS X Lion, your installer may have been removed after your successful first login to OS X Lion. Mac App Store's Purchases page should show Install Mac OS X Lion as being "Installed", and disallow its download, when viewed from a computer running OS X Lion.

To redownload the installer on a computer running OS X Lion, press and hold the Option key while you click the Purchases tab. If the button to the right of the Install Mac OS X Lion item doesn't change to "Install" and allow you to download Lion, use Spotlight to search for "Install Mac OS X Lion" on your computer."

User uploaded file

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2011 7:13 AM in response to SouthMartin

SouthMartin,

Since this happens on all users you will have to download and reinstall Lion.

OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery has detailed instructions. Use the Install OS X Lion section:

"If you completed your installation of OS X Lion, your installer may have been removed after your successful first login to OS X Lion. Mac App Store's Purchases page should show Install Mac OS X Lion as being "Installed", and disallow its download, when viewed from a computer running OS X Lion.

To redownload the installer on a computer running OS X Lion, press and hold the Option key while you click the Purchases tab. If the button to the right of the Install Mac OS X Lion item doesn't change to "Install" and allow you to download Lion, use Spotlight to search for "Install Mac OS X Lion" on your computer."

User uploaded file

Aug 25, 2011 4:13 PM in response to SouthMartin

Yes definitely a font issue. I had removed HelveticaNeue.dfont from system/library/fonts and replaced it with my own version of Helvetica Neue (permanently activated via Suitcase Fusion) but iCal doesn't like it - everything else was working okay though. I placed HelveticaNeue.dfont back in the system fonts folder and iCal is happy again.

Jan 20, 2012 1:53 PM in response to andreewka

Thank you andreewka.

After doing some font management, I discovered iCal, address book and a few others apps were NOT working. On top of some server issues, I was nearly hysterical. I just wanted it to work. Searching for help, I saw this "reinstall Lion" and almost had a meltdown. Fortunately you pointed out the possible font issue, and it worked! Thank you thank you thank you!

Jun 11, 2012 3:20 AM in response to SouthMartin

I too can validate that this is a font issue. I checked the status of Helvetica.neue in Font Book and all but 'regular' was set to off. I tunred them back on and viola, iCal opens. I REALLY WISH Apple would stop using a clashing font as a core system font. They should have called it Apple-Helvetica or something. Would save us designers a ton of grief.

Sep 17, 2012 8:14 AM in response to 0z0n3boy

0z0n3boy,

I'm having this problem (*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException') now with a 3rd party program that was previously working perfectly. I want to check the fonts like you mention to see if I can fix the problem. Can you give me the step-by-step path to find out if my fonts have been corrupted and how to fix them? I have a MacBook Air running Mac OS version 10.6.8

Thanks

Sep 17, 2012 8:12 AM in response to andreewka

Andreewka,

I'm having this problem (*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException') now with a 3rd party program that was previously working perfectly. I want to check the fonts like you mention to see if I can fix the problem. Can you give me the step-by-step path to find out if my fonts have been corrupted and how to fix them? I have a MacBook Air running Mac OS version 10.6.8

Thanks

Sep 17, 2012 8:13 AM in response to Gr1f

Gr1f,

Thanks

Sep 17, 2012 8:13 AM in response to suzannedesigns

Suzannedesigns,

Thanks

Oct 28, 2012 2:22 AM in response to Gr1f

This FINALLY solved my problem! I was rather dumb/ignorant enough to replace helvetica neue in system fonts with my own (older!) version because it had gone missing in some of my own Numbers-documents and Lion kept complaining about it. What confused me here is that when iCal and Address Book seem to be failing in getting iCloud-data, one tends to think these errors are iCloud-related when in fact they are system font-related. Spent a couple of days on this..it will not happen to me again. See also https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3203216

Jan 30, 2014 1:51 PM in response to 0z0n3boy

Helvetica Neue issue for me as well. I had additional versions of Helvetica Neue turned on besides the system versions (you can tell because font book wont let you disable the system versions). iCal had been working for a long time this way, but thn I started experiencing crashes on startup everytime. I "disabled" the additional fonts (had been installed from an outside job) and voila! Easy Peezy! Thanks so much 0z0n3b0y!

iCal crashing on Lion (have checked other threads)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.